How to Achieve a Successful Portfolio in Envato:
For more than one year now, Envato has been considered one of the world’s leading creative community and most reliable marketplace for all kinds of superior creative elements which includes; graphic items, web elements and design, stock images, 3D files, audio files, scripts, etc. This great community is rising very fast more than a good number of marketplaces available online. I believe you can attest to that.
What that interest me the most is that, Envato Inspection Team is very serious and careful when it comes to ‘FILE APPROVAL ’. They only consider high quality and highly needed files. They don’t want to cluster Envato marketplace with any kind of item. Most importantly, they want to make sure that any item purchased from Envato will serve the buyer well.
If you are an author and you submitted a file that you carefully created and all of a sudden, it was rejected – you shouldn’t feel bad about it.
There may not be anything wrong with your file but Envato Support intention for the denial is to help you improve your skill and creativity. A good number of professional authors have experienced such turn-out including me but what that makes you a serious-minded designer is ‘If you will be able to reach the peak despite how many times you have failed’. Thus, those that understood Envato principles ‘HAVE ACHIEVED SUCCESSFUL PORTFOLIO ’ and have made huge sales. Do you wish to know how they did it?
To achieve a successful portfolio there are certain techniques you MUST apply:
Bear in mind that you may have a portfolio with hundreds of files but they may not be successful. Someone with only 20 files can make more money than someone who has over 100 items. The reviewer will approve your item once it is up to standard and the complexity is high but there maybe few people in the world that are desperately in need of such item and you can only be able to make few sales for a very long time. But if your item is what I will like to call ‘A Popular Demand File’, you will make a lot of sales than you can ever imagine. How is that possible? I will show you.
1. Go to ‘POPULAR ITEMS ’ and take a good look at the best-selling items in Envato marketplaces. See its complexity, study it and come up with a more superior approach. It is also advisable for you to purchase the item because it will help you to see what the author did in order to achieve such professional artwork. Bear in mind that you MUST NOT in anyway violate Envato marketplace license by reselling or copyrighting the file in whole without purchasing the full license which is different from the regular license. See this page for more details: http://wiki.envato.com/support/legal-terms/licensing-terms/
2. There are good items in Envato marketplaces that you can deeply advance that will make so much sales than its precursor. Let your creativity flow and believe me, you will enrich your portfolio with a good number of high quality and popular demand items.
3. You can also create an item from your own idea but before you do that, I will advice you to seek opinion from critics (not advisable in forum but Envato Support would be appropriate) or your friends whether or not such item will be acceptable in Envato and if accepted, whether it will make huge sales.
It is not all about having your items accepted; it is about making sales and enjoying the fruit of your labor. What good is it to have an item in Envato marketplace but has not made any sale for several months? It is better for it to be rejected and improved than for it to get stocked for 1 year before the annual marketplace thorough review. Heed to this advice, it will help you a lot.
4. After you have gathered opinions from several angles, sit down and conceptualize how you will make that item outstanding in order to become an irresistible file in such a way that any buyer that come across it will surely desire to purchase it. This is where the hard labor begins. There is something very crucial you must know. Selling items in Envato marketplaces doesn’t require your advert unlike most online marketplaces. You don’t need to pay any AD space company to advertise your username.
You don’t need to suffer yourself trying to convince buyers to purchase your item. You can be on vacation and your items will still be making you rich without your presence needed. You can still be busy with your main job while earning extra from your sales in Envato. Isn’t that great folks? All you need to do is to do your part and create a highly needed item and start to make more money.
5. Once you start with the construction, make sure that you follow all the instruction given to you by Envato Support or if your item has been denied before, use the ‘denial reason’ as an advantage to advance your new items. Also know that you shouldn’t be discouraged if your item is denied. Trust me, what that won’t kill you can only make you stronger.
If only you can understand that item denial can only help you to improve, you will know that you can become one of the ‘TOP AUTHORS ’ in Envato and once you have reached that length, you will be making nothing less than 500 sales a month. Now, multiply that with your commission agreement with Envato and know how many thousands of dollars you have made. Like I said, follow all the instructions carefully and make sure that you didn’t falter in any way.
Try and follow these tips:
- Label correctly,
- Be conscious of alignments,
- Be mindful of the fonts you use and keep record of the names if possible the site where the buyer can get hold of it,
- Most importantly, avoid license infringement ,
- Make sure that your item is highly useful to the buyer,
- Consider depth intensity,
- Avoid unattractive preview,
- Remember to add ‘Help’ when necessary,
- Be creative when writing your item description,
- Give a decent title that will help buyers easily locate your file,
- Consider item complexity,
- The last but not the least, beware of bugs/virus when compressing your file. It is very important for you to know that if the buyer is happy with the item he/she purchased from you, the buyer will follow your marketplace and will always come back for more appealing items from you. There is no greater joy than to see your items among the ‘popular files’ and can only be there depending how many sales your item has procured.
6. After you have followed the steps stated above and you are ready to begin upload, read the ‘upload instruction’ to make sure that your item will not only be accepted but will also make a lot of sales. Creating a successful portfolio is all about having a good number of files that will procure huge sales.
Once you are done reading the instructions, go ahead and upload your item and make sure that you place it in the right ‘CATEGORY’. A good number of people often make mistake and place their items in the wrong category and they will all end-up rejected although the reviewer will specify the right category for the file. However, you will go through the stress again to re-upload. Therefore, it is better for you to avoid it. You can ask Envato Support to help you determine the right category for your file or you can simply search for similar files in Envato marketplaces and see the categories they placed their items.
7. Finally, wait for reply from Envato Inspection Team/Reviewer and once it is approved, wait for the huge sales.
I hope this vital post will help you to achieve a successful portfolio. If you have any further question concerning this topic, please kindly ask Envato Support. They are willing to help you clear the smoke. God bless and Good luck!
Vital and comprehensive information for serious-minded designers!
mrcharlesbrown doesn’t post much, but when he does it’s vital and comprehensive!
This is very inspirational unlike most posts I have read. Thanks for that information Charles.. this is the kind of information that should be published in ENVATO note forum.
Thanks for sharing your tips with the community Charles!
I’m glad to hear from you SuperDrew!