430 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malta
NeuronFX says

What kind of platform do you think is best for 3d work (maya, 3ds max, etc…). Do you have any experience using workstation GPUs, and how does it compare to the gaming ones in 3d work? I am thinking of upgrading my system, but I’m constantly struggling between these 2 platforms. Are the workstation GPUs worth the extra money?

176 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
Hikari-Pictures says

Good question, Im also on the way to buy 2600k platform.

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Chiccobruni9 says

i have i7 2600k with 8gb of RAM and 2GB of graphic card and they work really fine! to have the best performance u must buy SSD , 80-120Gb it’s ok.

this setting is good for gaming and workstation.

46 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RedCoreFX says

GPU = if workstation then you should consider nVidia Quadro cards = expensive but a lot of power. I’ve chosen to give a go with gaming GPU even though I’m not playing games. But keep in mind that GPU is not as important as CPU when using software like Maya or 3Ds Max. Power of GPU is used when rendering your viewports and not in the final rendering process. But new rendering engines like Vray, Maxwell or Furry Ball support GPU real time rendering which can be a life saver when you have a close deadlines. I strongly suggest you NOT to buy ATi graphics card when you want to get access to all new technologies that you can use in rendering engines.

CPU = go with Intel with unlocked multiplier (“k” edition) i7 is a good choice. Overclock of course.

RAM = if you are beginner in 3D then 8GB if plenty enough. But as the time goes you will realize that nothing can be done in just one software and you’ll find yourself jumping between different software packages all the time. Then upgrade to at least 16GB.

MB = keep space for RAM upgrades and read reviews on overclocking capabilities.

532 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Serbia
Farley_Design says

I’m happy with my ATI Radeon 5870 (2gb version). Can handle up to 6.000.000 polys in the viewport @ 50 fps and OpenGL in AE works like a charm. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get my hands on a Quadro card, but +$1000 difference really helped me choose :)

323 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
vaynah says

Workstation

430 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malta
NeuronFX says

GPU = if workstation then you should consider nVidia Quadro cards = expensive but a lot of power. I’ve chosen to give a go with gaming GPU even though I’m not playing games. But keep in mind that GPU is not as important as CPU when using software like Maya or 3Ds Max. Power of GPU is used when rendering your viewports and not in the final rendering process. But new rendering engines like Vray, Maxwell or Furry Ball support GPU real time rendering which can be a life saver when you have a close deadlines. I strongly suggest you NOT to buy ATi graphics card when you want to get access to all new technologies that you can use in rendering engines.

CPU = go with Intel with unlocked multiplier (“k” edition) i7 is a good choice. Overclock of course.

RAM = if you are beginner in 3D then 8GB if plenty enough. But as the time goes you will realize that nothing can be done in just one software and you’ll find yourself jumping between different software packages all the time. Then upgrade to at least 16GB.

MB = keep space for RAM upgrades and read reviews on overclocking capabilities.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I’m aiming at a higher pc configuration though… since 3d work is always getting more complicated.

I was aiming for around 48gb ram and double xeon cpus… but for graphic card I am not that certain since a good Quadro card will increase the price by around 3000-5000$. Maya uses the graphic card when rendering fluid simulations… and that’s the part I’m mostly focusing on at the moment.

The only concern is, is a work station card worth that huge price difference, and does it really speeds up the workflow by a huge amount as nvidia states?

4791 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I’m happy with my ATI Radeon 5870 (2gb version). Can handle up to 6.000.000 polys in the viewport @ 50 fps and OpenGL in AE works like a charm. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get my hands on a Quadro card, but +$1000 difference really helped me choose :)

The Quadros are good cards, but for the extra buck I haven’t found the Quadro 4000 so much faster than the Radeon 5870 tbh. (on a Mac)

But the Quadro has CUDA , which means it will work in Ae CS6 ray-tracing mode, which the Radeon won’t.

237 posts elementza.com
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Europe
+4 more
elements says

For a while now I have i7 2600 with hyper threading & Quadro 4000, and I’m more than satisfied with the final result.

Definitely would recommend it!

by
by
by
by
by
by