WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

7186 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Just to clarify, this survey was already scheduled as part of the new licensing rollout, regardless of the GPL issue. Some questions surrounding GPL were added due to community feedback, though.

so is this why the survey kicked me out when I’ve naively chose “I’m not a themeforest author” option?

Or maybe envato needs answer about licenses only from themeforest authors? Because, last time I’ve checked those licenses apply to all authors on all marketplaces.

152 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

I really don’t get Wordpress point of view, so they want great plugins but that authors give for free? We need to make a living in the end of the day :P
Just to clarify: When they talk about “free”, they’re talking about freedom, not price.

Yes that’s absolutely true, but it’s also freedom to copy our work and resell or share it for free.

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

I really don’t get Wordpress point of view, so they want great plugins but that authors give for free? We need to make a living in the end of the day :P
Just to clarify: When they talk about “free”, they’re talking about freedom, not price.
Yes that’s absolutely true, but it’s also freedom to copy our work and resell or share it for free.

I believe I covered that when I wrote “freedom.”

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Japh Staff says

Just to clarify, this survey was already scheduled as part of the new licensing rollout, regardless of the GPL issue. Some questions surrounding GPL were added due to community feedback, though.

so is this why the survey kicked me out when I’ve naively chose “I’m not a themeforest author” option?

Or maybe envato needs answer about licenses only from themeforest authors? Because, last time I’ve checked those licenses apply to all authors on all marketplaces.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that these changes will effect all marketplaces though.

5763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Both ThemeForest and CodeCanyon has surveys as most of the questions related to developer’s interests.

by
by
by
by
by
by