WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

Caldazar said he doesn’t want to try to walk on eggs in this public discourse. Frankly, no one should have to. It was not an insult to anyone.

I’ve seen several of you take what he has said completely and utterly out of context and assume he’s insulting you in some way. I understand that not all of you are native English speakers, and that’s okay. However, he hasn’t been trying to insult you.

No, he didn’t call you [software] “pirates” earlier either. He was merely likening what we all do to pirates and pointing out that we can do it legally.

It seems to me that several of you are cherry-picking specific phrases and bashing him for having a different opinion than you. It’s either that or you don’t understand what he’s saying. I only hope it’s the latter.

Please discuss the points at hand.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I felt same as greenshady. Entering debate zone always has this kind of risks – I am happy no one targeted me as trolling! :D

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

No, he didn’t call you [software] “pirates” earlier either. He was merely likening what we all do to pirates and pointing out that we can do it legally.

is this irony?

Because comparing someone with a pirate is like calling him a pirate.

5382 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Australia says

@greenshady

Well said

611 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

@doru well said o/

@greenshady Nice attempt scrambling to do damage control. If caldazar wanted to clarify his situation, he had every opportunity to do so. Surely he is capable of this without your assistance!

That said, I got nothing against anybody here. It’s only a discussion and personally I found it constructive. I agree that there is no point in beating a dead horse as it appears all the good arguments are exhausted. I for one, know how I’m going to respond in the survey, which is a relief ^^

@caldazar Got nothing against you. Peace!

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Dream-Theme says

Just a reminder. Do you guys remember marketplace selling all-gpl themes? One that now has “Will be back soon” landing page… for more than half a year or more?

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
greenshady says

is this irony?

No, there’s a difference. I’m more than happy to discuss the nuances of the English language with you off topic. I have a B.A. in English if you need my credentials.

@greenshady Nice attempt scrambling to do damage control. If caldazar wanted to clarify his situation, he had every opportunity to do so. Surely he is capable of this without your assistance!

He didn’t have a reason to clarify anything. It’s not his fault that other people were taking his words out of context.

648 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Dream-Theme says

is this irony?

No, there’s a difference. I’m more than happy to discuss the nuances of the English language with you off topic. I have a B.A. in English if you need my credentials.

He didn’t have a reason to clarify anything. It’s not his fault that other people were taking his words out of context.

Really? Than what is this:

Well, “referrals = giving back” is pretty much the pirate’s top argument. While this is true and should be part of a venture’s strategic considerations, saying that you’d owe pirates anything, be it an explanation for how you use your own software, would be quite bold methinks.

And this:

Technically you’re doing exactly the same as pirates, except it’s explicitly allowed. Why? Because WordPress gave you the permission as a gift out of the goodness of their hearts, before Envato even existed.

Please feel free to waste a bit more of your time and reveal us the sacral meaning of it;)

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
greenshady says

is this irony?

Really? Than what is this:

Well, “referrals = giving back” is pretty much the pirate’s top argument. While this is true and should be part of a venture’s strategic considerations, saying that you’d owe pirates anything, be it an explanation for how you use your own software, would be quite bold methinks.

And this:

Technically you’re doing exactly the same as pirates, except it’s explicitly allowed. Why? Because WordPress gave you the permission as a gift out of the goodness of their hearts, before Envato even existed.

Please feel free to waste a bit more of your time and reveal us the sacral meaning of it;)

As I wrote earlier, I’ll be more than happy to discuss the English language in another topic. It’s obvious that some of you either don’t grasp what was written or want to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Yes, let’s please keep this on topic and civil, everyone. Thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by