WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

2196 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+13 more
mpc says

WordPress foundation thinks all of the code and artwork should be GPL ? In other words our themes should be free? :P

753 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

WordPress foundation thinks all of the code and artwork should be GPL ? In other words our themes should be free? :P

Yep. Give away themes and sell support. Easy! Like wordprass.com do!

Oh wait, wordpress.com users can’t do any customization, development, etc. So all that wordpress.com support is doing is kinda “to embed a gallery, click that small button…”. This means that they can hire anyone as support staff. Sure it’s easy to profit from such “support” :D

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

Oh wait, wordpress.com users can’t do any customization, development, etc. So all that wordpress.com support is doing is kinda “to embed a gallery, click that small button…”. This means that they can hire anyone as support staff. Sure it’s easy to profit from such “support” :D

Envato could also launch a hosted themes service :) At least we won’t need to fight with $5 a year hosting issues ;)

753 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Envato could also launch a hosted themes service :)

I’m sure it will be considered as violation of the spirit and nature of WordPress as free software by WordPress Foundation / Automattic / Matt ;)

5361 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I’ve read a lot on this topic the past few days and have come to the conclusion that I just can’t respect the other side’s point of view unless they decide to make their themes on WordPress.com downloadable. Because we can argue GPL and “spirit” semantics until we’re blue in the face. Bottom line, one business is protected and the other is not (or wouldn’t be were Envato to go 100%).

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Again, there is a part where MIT gives freedom to close the distribution on derivative works while GPL makes sure distribution isn’t restricted. Hope this part doesn’t targetted as violating spirit ;)

haha good catch! Any excuse is good to violate the spirit of something, which is why I prefer to see this from a legal angle :P

Currently, Matt’s requests aren’t so far fetched and I’m glad Envato is putting this to vote.

When the copy right holder themselves requests something, it would be hard turn back and focus only with legal aspects (especially when we make a living on top of that :D ). License is also just a tool – it has all the imperfections we can have. So it becomes important to grasp the essence when copyright holder tries to advice / request something. Envato just does it as of now and I guess community vote is for other good reasons but may not be considered as a way to make decision.

I guess it would be more productive to think about precautions on presenting the 100% GPL thing, to avoid devaluing work (atleast internally). One of that is just asking Matt if inclusion of MIT will indirectly break the spirit of distribution :D

41 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Caldazar says

@Dream-Theme

We don’t rewind to that point again (I can’t sell my theme, yadda, yadda, whine), do we?

I’m still not sure you guys are aware of the relationship between WordPress and you: They give, you take – free. They owe you nothing.

That’s where every discourse about ethics has to start, if you want one.

7650 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

what if we resolve this issue once and for all as they do it in the past, :|:)

with a duel

but less dramatic.

maybe with a pillow fight

316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

@Dream-Theme

We don’t rewind to that point again (I can’t sell my theme, yadda, yadda, whine), do we?

I’m still not sure you guys are aware of the relationship between WordPress and you: They give, you take – free. They owe you nothing.

That’s where every discourse about ethics has to start, if you want one.

A lot of authors here do contribute to the core, albeit not all, but enough to make that statement sound very inaccurate.

WordPress is only as strong as the community that supports it as a whole.

688 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

I’ve read a lot on this topic the past few days and have come to the conclusion that I just can’t respect the other side’s point of view unless they decide to make their themes on WordPress.com downloadable. Because we can argue GPL and “spirit” semantics until we’re blue in the face. Bottom line, one business is protected and the other is not (or wouldn’t be were Envato to go 100%).

Ditto!

by
by
by
by
by
by