WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

488 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
PixelBuffet says

I don’t think that would ever happen, they’re just looking into allowing us to choose whether we want to be 100% GPL or not. I can’t see Envato ever forcing it on authors.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

I’ll just quit selling themes on TF if license will be switched to all-gpl

I don’t think that would ever happen, they’re just looking into allowing us to choose whether we want to be 100% GPL or not. I can’t see Envato ever forcing it on authors.

As PixelBuffet says, all Collis is talking about in the post is allowing the choice for authors to be 100% GPL is they want to be.

6003 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

We, as many, also include custom made jquery plugin that are sold as separate commercial items and a 100% GPL theme would extend the license to the bundled plugin code.

Triggers another question. Is it possible to include MIT licensed plugins with GPL themes without conflicting GPL’s freedom? It looks like an 100% GPL theme will require an author to have multiple skills to comeup with own set of plugins (or use only GPL based 3rd party plugins, while MIT is the vast majority available for front end scripts)

Offtopic, I remember an MIT licensed javascript plugin on github having a single line license info on line 1 (repeating exact words here):

Licence: MIT bla bla

The script was a gem, and the license info added much respect towards the author :D

42 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
maguiar01 says

As the copyright owner, an author can distribute his theme under a commercial license and under GPL.

So i got one (probably stupid) question:

What stops anyone on TF from releasing their themes “full” GPL today ? Why an author can’t do a deal like “buy a license on envato and i will send you a GPL version of my theme” ?

7438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

As the copyright owner, an author can distribute his theme under a commercial license and under GPL.

So i got one (probably stupid) question:

What stops anyone on TF from releasing their themes “full” GPL today ? Why an author can’t do a deal like “buy a license on envato and i will send you a GPL version of my theme” ?

if you are an exclusive author you need to release your items only on envato marketplaces. No other option, paid or free, is possible. So the only way to release an item (theme or other) is under the marketplace license.

3236 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Collis made another post http://wpdaily.co/theme-clarity/ much respect for that man.
I’ll just quit selling themes on TF if license will be switched to all-gpl
If they’ll force us to use all-gpl, surely you won’t be the only one. If we’d have a way to choose either all gpl or split license, that could work fine.

maybe you guys should read the article

and your themes(at least WordPress) are GPL already

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

Triggers another question. Is it possible to include MIT licensed plugins with GPL themes without conflicting GPL’s freedom? It looks like an 100% GPL theme will require an author to have multiple skills to comeup with own set of plugins (or use only GPL based 3rd party plugins, while MIT is the vast majority available for front end scripts)

The MIT license is GPL-compatible. See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

When TF talks about allowing “GPL-licensed” themes, I hope they’re talking about any open-source license that is compatible with the GPL. Even if they’re not, you can still use other scripts and libraries that are compatible with the GPL.

6003 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

The MIT license is GPL-compatible. See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

When TF talks about allowing “GPL-licensed” themes, I hope they’re talking about any open-source license that is compatible with the GPL. Even if they’re not, you can still use other scripts and libraries that are compatible with the GPL.

Thanks, that clarifies.

Again, there is a part where MIT gives freedom to close the distribution on derivative works while GPL makes sure distribution isn’t restricted. Hope this part doesn’t targetted as violating spirit ;)

41 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Caldazar says

Again, there is a part where MIT gives freedom to close the distribution on derivative works while GPL makes sure distribution isn’t restricted. Hope this part doesn’t targetted as violating spirit ;)
From the missing copyleft-restriction in MIT follows, that you can use MIT-licensed stuff inside a GPL-project but not GPL inside MIT. So you can’t licence your WordPress theme under MIT for example.

The licence of the project itself always has to stay GPL but may include MIT-licensed parts.

660 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

haha good catch! Any excuse is good to violate the spirit of something, which is why I prefer to see this from a legal angle :P

Currently, Matt’s requests aren’t so far fetched and I’m glad Envato is putting this to vote.

by
by
by
by
by
by