347 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Hi,

I’ve started reading up on CDNs and how to use them. We’ve got a couple of sites that go down occasionally due to spikes in traffic and a further server upgrade is going to be very pricey.

CoralCDN seems the obvious one as it’s free but I understand there are others such as Amazon S3 / Cloudfront and even dropbox that aren’t so expensive if not used heavily.

The attraction of the S3 seems to be there’s a plugin that transparently uploads all files directly there rather than the WP uploads folder.

If anyone has any experience using CDNs and can offer advice on ease of use vs costs it would really be appreciated as there’s a lot of info to take in and process.

Thanks,

Jon.

1525 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
webdesignerart says

Yeah i used MAXCDN… basically CDN is for load your static content faster. you will have good experience after seting up CDN to your site. i want to setup CDN for you’re website. Contact me directly through my profile page.

2440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

Hey Jon,

I’m using Amazon S3 together with Cloudflare, for a wallpapers site of mine (you can see it on my profile page).

It’s currently getting around 52k pageviews / month, all posts consist of images at around 600KB – not so much. Last S3 invoice was for close to $3. I’m pretty happy with the setup, I use that WordPress plugin you mentioned, for automatic uploads to an S3 bucket – works like a charm.

The downside of that plugin is that it adds a rewrite rule to the .htaccess, so URLs like /uploads/2012/12/image.jpg are redirected to load from your S3 bucket. This may decrease load speed, but I’m personally pretty happy with it, considering the site is on a shared server.
Another bummer are permissions in S3, they’re pretty cumbersome to setup so that images load only on your domain.

Finally, Cloudflare is pretty good, saves about half my bandwidth by blocking known threats and bots. It’s ‘set and forget’, unless you need to make changes to your site (it has a ‘development mode’ option, when caching is temporarily disabled).

1525 posts
  • Exclusive Author
webdesignerart says

Hey Jon,

I’m using Amazon S3 together with Cloudflare, for a wallpapers site of mine (you can see it on my profile page).

It’s currently getting around 52k pageviews / month, all posts consist of images at around 600KB – not so much. Last S3 invoice was for close to $3. I’m pretty happy with the setup, I use that WordPress plugin you mentioned, for automatic uploads to an S3 bucket – works like a charm.

The downside of that plugin is that it adds a rewrite rule to the .htaccess, so URLs like /uploads/2012/12/image.jpg are redirected to load from your S3 bucket. This may decrease load speed, but I’m personally pretty happy with it, considering the site is on a shared server.
Another bummer are permissions in S3, they’re pretty cumbersome to setup so that images load only on your domain.

Finally, Cloudflare is pretty good, saves about half my bandwidth by blocking known threats and bots. It’s ‘set and forget’, unless you need to make changes to your site (it has a ‘development mode’ option, when caching is temporarily disabled).

Mate why you use cloudflare CDN while using Amazone S3? not clear. iz it Amazone s3 is cheaper ?

2440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
digitalimpact says

Mate why you use cloudflare CDN while using Amazone S3? not clear. iz it Amazone s3 is cheaper ?

Cloudflare isn’t just a CDN. And you can’t host your content in Cloudflare, it just caches it for your visitors.

I use Amazon only for hosting the images, for which I don’t have the space on my server. And Cloudflare does the rest of the job.

1525 posts
  • Exclusive Author
webdesignerart says

So you’re using Amazon hosting services and CloudFlare as for CDN. So my question is why you use cloudflare as CDN because MAXCDN is best and again there is many other best hosting providers why you use Amazon S3 hosting.

2440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
digitalimpact says

Checkout Cloudflare’s services, they do more than a regular CDN.

1525 posts
  • Exclusive Author
webdesignerart says

Checkout Cloudflare’s services, they do more than a regular CDN.

Are you using there free service or paid? and what about Amazon S3 you mentioned that you using as for images.

by
by
by
by
by
by