548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

The ability to rearrange and re-size logo, nav, search, and social icon positions and sizes with drag and drop is a beautiful thing.

Wonder how many support questions an author could avoid by implementing a similar system for complete (or near complete) header design control?

238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
ewizz says

Absolutely! All themes should have that for 35$, also there should be drag&drop for every part of template (homepage/blog/portfolio etc…). In that case you don’t need to pay coder to do some change and you can get thousand of bucks for it :)

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says
ewizz said
Absolutely! All themes should have that for 35$, also there should be drag&drop for every part of template (homepage/blog/portfolio etc…). In that case you don’t need to pay coder to do some change and you can get thousand of bucks for it :)

hahaha… sorry but yeah, +1.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

I don’t wanna say what my backends have here (you can drag and drop also your mother), but seems they don’t bring too many sales anyway :)

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

It seems that buyers are getting more and more lazy (no offense). 99% of the features that buyers are amazed by can be done in seconds with some extremely basic coding knowledge, such as shortcodes and basically the majority of theme options.

Are you really too lazy to open up style.css and add any additional styles at the end of the page, or open up footer.php and insert any Google Analytics or what have you in there? Or even replace the default logo.png with your logo and change any margins/paddings as needed? No, you need custom upload options for those? ‘Nuff said.

548 posts
tonvie says

Keep up that community spirit :) Didn’t say anything offensive to deserve to be called lazy and have some tirade about it let alone a mod chiming in. Priceless.

I’m shocked you didn’t slam me for misnaming the theme from Clockstone to Clockwork.

What a horrible piece of scum I am…lemme just go off myself now. Good day.

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

I think most sellers put a great deal of work into their themes ‘as is’ and it can be difficult to consider adding more features when the prices stay the same. And like P&K said, these features tend not to make a difference in final sales anyway.

I had my author hat on instead of my mod hat on earlier. I probably could have articulated myself better. Your suggestions are appreciated, Tonvie. In fact, I listened to what you were saying about having the option to put a phone number in the header and add social icons to the top in my latest theme. But there can be a point where major feature requests (like drag-and-dropping content sections) aren’t worth the effort at the current price point for many authors.

328 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CLINE123 says

@Tonvie, I’ve noticed the ‘community spirit’ of late here myself my friend. I love when authors chime in and let me know what they really think of me as a buyer- makes me want to rush out and buy all their themes. Curse you for making those suggestions you lazy bum, we want every theme on TF to be exactly the same format and layout with absolutely no deviation form the tried and true recipe.

I have some other suggestions for my wishlist but I’ll keep it to myself and thank the heavens for all the authors. Don’t give me what I want, give me what you want and I’ll like it. That’s how this marketplace will continue to dominate and grow. I remember the time when MySpace was the big dog and Facebook was a puppy.

1025 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says
JamiGibbs said
But there can be a point where major feature requests (like drag-and-dropping content sections) aren’t worth the effort at the current price point for many authors.

Sometimes that effort pays off in volume, if not in price, as is the case with the top theme for the last 4-5 weeks.

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says
I have some other suggestions for my wishlist but I’ll keep it to myself
Share ‘em brother! Authors can’t read your mind.

However, stuff like the Clockstone header editor requires some heavy duty programming knowledge. When codedrops adds that tutorial, everybody will have it. :)

I’ve noticed the ‘community spirit’ of late here myself my friend. I love when authors chime in and let me know what they really think of me as a buyer- makes me want to rush out and buy all their themes.
The reason you run into this attitude is because some buyers are expecting all the features of the Carrington Build theme, which will run you $149 for a single site license, all packed up into a $35 themeforest theme.
Sometimes that effort pays off in volume, if not in price, as is the case with the top theme for the last 4-5 weeks.
Actually, that isn’t necessarily true.

A new themeforest author who sells 100 copies of a theme can expect around $1,750. The Carrington Build theme that I mentioned before, you only need to sell 12 copies to reach the same amount. You would only need to sell 297 copies of the Carrington Build theme to make the same amount as the current #1 WP theme which has sold 2,534 copies so far.

To make 100k a year as a developer you’re talking about selling 6,711 vs. 57,142 themes. That is a huge difference.

They won’t admit it but guys like Tonvie can afford to shell out $149 for a theme.

by
by
by
by
by
by