(Locked) Will Extended Licence allow me to use it in a WP plugin and sell it here on CC?

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

Wasted? If you can’t use it for it’s intended purpose, perhaps Envato support may potentially issue a refund if you state that the author is refusing to comply with the license terms (or something like that) ? They often take up to 7-10 days to respond to tickets and inquires it seems though. So, be patient if you can. Anyway, valuable lesson learned regardless, right? Could have been much worse. At least it was only $30 instead of hundreds for a theme. Next time before purchasing such a license, contact the author first with your intentions and obtain permission instead of assuming. If i remember correctly, I thought this fact was part of the envato author tutorial so they may not take pity on you or be able to appreciate your position.

Definatley a lesson learned, Tho I will say that I didn’t start with any intention of makin a plugin, but in its default state the original was very hard to implement with Wordpress, which was why I made the plugin in the first place to solve the installation issue and to make it much easier to use across a network of sites.

I needed the extended license anyway cos I’m using it on a few sites, so I was wrong to say the money was wasted

I’ve submitted the plugin to CC, explaining fully where the plugin originates in the message to the reviewer so will see what happens.

426 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

for anyone following this

support finally got back to me, and the answer in this case is…..

Nope, extended license does not mean you can sell it in a plugin :) I must say its really nice to finally have a official response to this

on a brighter note, i believe this is a perfect candidate for a tutorial for one of my sites, so ill be packaging the fluff i made (its not pro standard but works very well) minus the dubious js files and then have a nice link to the original script, so all anyone will have to do is slap the js files into my plugin and boom, were cooking on gas!

anyone interested in the ‘plugin’ part iv put together, get in touch

329 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+9 more
WebFactory says

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. The only reason we have the extended license is so that other authors can purchase the item and build something new with it. I guess a plugin is not “new” enough. Anyway the whole licensing ordeal is getting out of hand.

426 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

well iv already sent my plugin to one chap and directed him to the original script which he will now buy :)

my good deed for the day is done at least

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Sorry this has taken so long to respond to. Based on your questions we made some clarifications and changes to the licenses themselves. Be sure to check out the notes post for more details. If you have comments or questions, please ask them in the associated forum threads. Thanks! http://notes.envato.com/general/extended-license-changes-part-1/

by
by
by
by
by
by