429 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thesecession says

Just curious as to why a TV or internet commercial would fall under the regular license? The vast majority of other libraries usually charge an increased fee to use their tracks for branding / advertising. Also those productions almost always have a substantial budget, especially if they’re going to television. 14$ just seems a little on the low end to be able to use music for national or worldwide advertising campaigns or product branding. Especially considering the company broadcasting your music tied to their service or product is most likely profiting off of your music.

What are your thoughts on this? In my opinion, AJ needs a bit of an overhaul in the licensing terms and fees for TV, Film, and Advert productions. Considering the music is 100% royalty free, it’s honestly a bit of a ripoff to Envato and the authors alike that music can be purchased so cheaply and used in a feature film trailer or ad campaign.

732 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Good question. Especially as we are not allowed to registers exclusive content with a PRO which would at least allow us to collect the broadcaster’s fee. There definitely needs to be some sort of amendment and I wrote support about this recently myself with a suggestion.

I believe AJ initially started this way simply to get the marketplace rolling as they were really just trying to attract attention. The low price and relatively simply license made AJ appealing on a mass scale. Now however not only have authors and buyers have increased, but the caliber of authors and buyers has increased and AJ will have to update the licensing structure to continue to grow in the long term.

It’s one thing to get authors to sign up – but then it’s a completely different thing to retain successful authors on the marketplace, especially when other companies come whispering in your ear with seemly better terms and rates.

479 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

+1

581 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says

Wow, I guess I need to really read the license agreements for customers better but I can’t believe a big name company could come here and grab one of our songs for a national campaign for a measly 14 bucks. I always figured a extended license would be for something like that, and even extended price is cheap. Oh my, this needs to be fixed like yesterday.

429 posts
+4 more
thesecession says

There should absolutely be a third license type for productions that are being broadcasted on tv or radio or anywhere that performance royalties would apply. It’s pretty common for royalties to be split 50/50 between publisher and writer so that could potentially be an incredible stream of revenue for Envato.

I also believe it could actually benefit the marketplace and attract more high profile clients. Im sure plenty of ad agencies or music supervisors completely write off places like AJ just because it’s “too cheap for their blood.” Even though there is music here that in some cases is BETTER than the libraries they license from.

I am under the impression that giving up your writers royalties is absolutely always an absurd thing to do. If your music was being used for a worldwide Coca Cola ad campaign and you’re not getting broadcasting royalties, that could be hundreds of thousands of dollars that you’re fairly entitled to and not being paid. Or even more over the course of your lifetime.

581 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says
thesecession said
There should absolutely be a third license type for productions that are being broadcasted on tv or radio or anywhere that performance royalties would apply. It’s pretty common for royalties to be split 50/50 between publisher and writer so that could potentially be an incredible stream of revenue for Envato.

I also believe it could actually benefit the marketplace and attract more high profile clients. Im sure plenty of ad agencies or music supervisors completely write off places like AJ just because it’s “too cheap for their blood.” Even though there is music here that in some cases is BETTER than the libraries they license from.

I am under the impression that giving up your writers royalties is absolutely always an absurd thing to do. If your music was being used for a worldwide Coca Cola ad campaign and you’re not getting broadcasting royalties, that could be hundreds of thousands of dollars that you’re fairly entitled to and not being paid.

If this is true there has been a TON of money lost by both parties, Envato and authors. Maybe this is why I read in some peoples post that they only put their back catalogue (stuff that doesn’t make libraries) on here. The tv material is going somewhere else, and so is the money.

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says
SophonicMedia said
If this is true there has been a TON of money lost by both parties, Envato and authors. Maybe this is why I read in some peoples post that they only put their back catalogue (stuff that doesn’t make libraries) on here. The tv material is going somewhere else, and so is the money.

Yup.

AJ (in my opinion) is the Walmart of music marketplaces. Lots of the items here are great quality, and you can get them really cheap, but they’re also embedded in with a bunch of not so great quality items. The marketplace is ENORMOUS , and currently it’s hard to find stuff, (I know this is being addressed, can’t wait!) – so it puts off high profile customers.

(BTW, third license type that thesecession describes is an excellent idea, but that alone isn’t going to be enough)

There are a lot of people who won’t shop at Walmart on principle, just like there are music supervisors who write off AJ because it gives off the impression that if it’s so cheap, it can’t be any good, and it’s so big, they can’t find what they want instantly.

The other issue of course is that music supervisors tend to build relationships with the same music libraries and suppliers. At the very top end of the industry, it’s rarely about the music, but more about the connections, and Envato right now does not have the power connections required to get the high quality placements.

A case in point, there is loads of great quality cinematic trailer material here, better than some of the major libraries out there, but it will never ever be picked for a blockbuster trailer (I’m talking $25+million budget or more here). If I have a track by {Envato author} and it’s amazing / fits the trailer perfectly, etc… and have another track by Two Steps From Hell and it’s also amazing / fits the trailer perfectly, which do you think I’m going to choose? Money is rarely an issue for these huge productions so you can bet they’ll go with the tried and tested, rather than the untested.

There are some powerful authors on the Envato marketplace but until more of us bring our own power connections to this marketplace, it will be a long time before we see more AJ material on a national and international stage. Combine that with AJ positioning itself as an all things to all people marketplace (which it does INCREDIBLY well) and – to me at least – it’s quite obvious why we won’t see more stuff from here on a national / international stage, and as a result, many of the composers here will probably save their top material for libraries / opportunities which will give better placements and therefore greater exposure and greater $$$.

Of course, there are going to be exceptions. Tim McMorris had his music on an adidas campaign. Thomas Vo had his music used in a Jackie Chan trailer. But the percentages are TINY . Scott will probably come in and give dozens of examples of ‘our music has been used {here} {here} {here}’ and it’s all great but I don’t think it’s the status quo yet.

Most of the authors here are using AJ to propel themselves onto something else or to support their current high-profile projects. What I expect will happen (and would like to see) is that as authors become more established in the industry, they bring their more illustrious clients to this place and show them how good it is. The fact is, that most of the authors here don’t have any significant presence at all in the industry right now – even the top authors. But perhaps in 3-5 years time, we’ll be able to say..”Look at the Gears of War 4 composer – he still sells music on Audiojungle. ” And then people around the industry will hopefully say : “Well, if the Gears of War 4 composer is still selling music on Audiojungle, it must be a great marketplace. Let’s go there and see what music they have.”

But for this to happen, authors here also have to have some serious ambition and drive and not just be interested in the $$$’s. There are a number of authors like that here though, so I suspect and hope that this will happen. There will also need to be authors that stick it out here on the marketplace and be loyal. And again, that’s about being interested in more than just the $$$’s.

So, none of this will happen overnight, no way. It will take years to develop and attract high profile clients because you’ve got to persuade many of them from breaking off long-established relationships AND convince them that AJ is a great marketplace. Just listen to most of the music on the national ads, it’s pretty bad and there is great music here that could do just as well, but it’s about the connections, not about the music.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post, just felt like having a good ramble! Apologies if I repeated myself. Everyone made great points in the previous posts that I agree with 100%. I hope I’ve been able to expand on those with my own insight.

429 posts
+4 more
thesecession says

Very quality insight as usual Gareth :) I hope we hear back from support on this issue, it would be great to know what Envato thinks about this.

In my opinion, at very very least, commercials and adverts should require the extended license. Perhaps there could be an exclusion for non profit adverts.

213 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

I have had clients contact me directly to license a track they found on AJ and WANT to pay more because the price was so low they didn’t believe it was real or that the license was valid.

732 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+8 more
TimMcMorris says
brownhousemedia said
I have had clients contact me directly to license a track they found on AJ and WANT to pay more because the price was so low they didn’t believe it was real or that the license was valid.

haha – SAME ! ... that’s too funny. Well – I guess that proves part of Gareth’s points.

by
by
by
by
by
by