632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

I’ve never understood why people use wordpress when it’s just an accident waiting to happen.

I understand why wordpress IS a good platform, but it’s one of the poorest platforms when it comes to security; in other words there is none.

Have you ever given anyone access to your wordpress admin? Did you know that they can install a plugin to download your database without needing a password. You can also download your FTP files without a password. If you use the same password elsewhere in your wordpress config they can access that.

If you give someone access to FTP and you have a wordpress install, running an include(”../wp-config.php”) would be all it took to get your password.

So why do you use wordpress and how do you protect your wordpress from attacks like these? Do you only install plugins from people you trust?

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Well, I use it because it’s awesome, simple and has a huge community.

I’ve also found a way of dealing with all the above: I never hand out my passwords. Simple. Powerful.

P.S.: it’s WordPress.

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

@ArranMcguire got me using random password gens for wp-config + if you’re giving someone your FTP details… they need to be trustworthy anyway.

and when it comes to security etc, free updates from Wordpress deal with those, right?

+ a massively active community

+ easy to install and a wealth of themes and plugins to make it do pretty much whatever you want it to do

I love wordpress.

812 posts
iamthwee says

Giving anyone access to wordpress admin is a bad idea obviously. And if you have the ftp details then obviously you have root access anyway.

In regards to passwords they aren’t stored anywhere in the database as plain text. They are encrypted with a one time hash.

All that being said, WP is pretty secure. Unfortunately, if you use a plugin this is probably where vulnerabilities are best exploited. That’s about the only weak link IMO .

1411 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
+7 more
Stylius says

Why on Earth would I give my passwords to someone else? If you give your password to another person, then don’t “moan” about WordPress’ security, it is you.

632 posts
Thecodingdude says

What I meant with FTP was in cPanel, you can create FTP accounts that point to a certain directory, so user “abcd” can only access directory “abcd”. This in itself is secure but they can still eventually work their way to get hold of your FTP files :P

246 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says

Why on Earth would I give my passwords to someone else? If you give your password to another person, then don’t “moan” about WordPress’ security, it is you.

+1 Well said.

632 posts
Thecodingdude says

+1 Well said.

You can create multiple admin accounts in wordpress ;)

309 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
cosmincotor says

Don’t allow people you don’t trust to access the admin panel or your FTP , actually don’t give them access to anything if you’re not 100% sure they can be trusted :)

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Don’t allow people you don’t trust to access the admin panel or your FTP , actually don’t give them access to anything if you’re not 100% sure they can be trusted :)

Exactly.

by
by
by
by
by
by