198 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
adammonroe says

I think the “epic” percussion sound simply involves layering many different types of drums with different rhythms. Taiko drums, Djembe, bass drums, frame drums ect. There are all kinds of African/World drums you can layer over and under your basic timpani and snare sounds that increases resonance and that add to a big sound. As far as cheap? I don’t know. I’d expect to pay $100-150 for a decent drum sound library.

MysticLotusMusic
MysticLotusMusic Recent Posts
Threads Started
21 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
MysticLotusMusic says

Is there a place, or book or video or any other medium in which one can turn in order to learn more about how to make VSTs sound more realistic?

33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
FarazSaremi says

Is there a place, or book or video or any other medium in which one can turn in order to learn more about how to make VSTs sound more realistic?

Hi! I don’t know you read this thread or not, but I think it is helpful:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/424380-techniques-make-vsts-sound-more-realistic.html

(I read forum rules but I don’t know post links like this, will break rules or not)

(excuse me for my bad English)

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Assuming you’re talking about orchestra there is only one really good resource for this that I know of.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guide-MIDI-Orchestration-4e/dp/0240814134/

An excellent book, pretty much universally recommended. It’s imperative you make sure you’re getting the most recent edition (4th edition!). The one from 1997 isn’t going to cut it :D

To MIDI orchestrate effectively, you obviously also need to have a good understanding of the orchestra itself, for which you need to study orchestration itself (MIDI orchestration and actual orchestration are two different things – unfortunately).

What’s worth more than a thousand books though, is developing your ear. In conjunction with the techniques the books give you and using your ear to discern how your mockups are different from real performances, you’ll learn infinitely more about what you’re doing wrong and what you’re doing right.

As always, a healthy dose of both education and experimentation (trial and error) is the key to success.

MysticLotusMusic
MysticLotusMusic Recent Posts
Threads Started
21 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
MysticLotusMusic says

@FarazSeremi

Thank you so much! I will be sure to look through that thread very thoroughly. Free information is awesome, so I really appreciate you sharing that with me.

@garethcoker

Thanks a lot for the response. I will probably be purchasing that book if my budget allows. (Lots of other books to buy!) I’m a music composition student, so I assure you that my ear is being trained on a near daily basis. I also have more than one orchestration book just waiting to be read, and a ton of scores to look through. But orchestration, composition, and all things related to music take tons of time to master! So I have plenty of work to do! Thanks again!

TT_Music_Production
TT_Music_Production Recent Posts
Threads Started
60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
TT_Music_Production says

My favourite Vsti’s : Spectrasonics (Omni, Trilian, RMX ), Sylenth, LA Scoring Strings, Symphobia 2, Virtual Guitarist 2, NI Studio Drummer, Nexus 2 and Hypersonic 2 for classic sounds.

by
by
by
by
by
by