1478 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
LumenMedia says

Today i’ve listened new trance album of Aleksander Popov “Personal Way” released on Armada. I understand all bells and whistles of this genre, but, hell, when this loudness war will stop, if ever? Please listen to “Legend” track from 1:30 to 1:50. This is almost strait clipping, with ugly distorted sound, loudness around 13,1-13,6. If i would be the chief of Armada record label, i would fire this mob of mastering engineers. Overcompressed, distorted, ugly mastering, killing every subtle details of original recordings.

2049 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

What did you say…...I can’t hear you! :)

148 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
sunchannelmusic says

True that. I do think there’s an anti-loudness war going on, too. The mastering on Adele’s last record is fairly quiet relative to everything else on the radio and she still sold millions of records. The recent Arcade Fire record is quiet as well and their single is still getting healthy radio play.

719 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

It’s because of the thing that people in majority listen music on cheap gear and those mastering guys want to satisfy them :)

btw best sounding songs on radio are old songs mixed with wide dynamic range. Contemporary music compressed by engineers and limited by radio processeors is just the piece of noise :)

1478 posts
+5 more
LumenMedia says
+1 Sadly many many new auhors follow this practice. Flat, overcompressed mixes.

It’s because of the thing that people in majority listen music on cheap gear and those mastering guys want to satisfy them :)

btw best sounding songs on radio are old songs mixed with wide dynamic range. Contemporary music compressed by engineers and limited by radio processeors is just the piece of noise :)

2049 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

IMO I blame mastering plugins and the thrill of pushing audio to the max because “it sounds great” could be the problem. I would hate to hear a pushed audiotrack being used for broadcast since it would “flatline” with no dynamics and be a hideous audio mess!

1478 posts
+5 more
LumenMedia says
+1 I really like some old recordings, because they have so much details, nuances and dynamic.

IMO I blame mastering plugins and the thrill of pushing audio to the max because “it sounds great” could be the problem. I would hate to hear a pushed audiotrack being used for broadcast since it would “flatline” with no dynamics and be a hideous audio mess!
342 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
soundtrove says

It’s sad that “flat overcompressed mixes” is what all that a generation of music listeners have been raised on so ‘re-educating’ them is going to be a long hard road…

disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio Recent Posts Threads Started
824 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in United States
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio says

It still baffles me that Alan Parsons did not use compression for Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon album. The beauty of that sound is unquestionable. I actually do not use compression most of the time, because I just don’t like how it sounds. I don’t understand it. Maybe with some tracks it works, but it just seems to make the sound bland and muddy. I’m no expert though. However, I don’t think I’m an idiot, and I love to mess around with mastering techniques and my own ideas. I believe if someone has enough ingenuity, there is no need to do some of the things which are so accepted and expected in the industry. I think sometimes, when you hear mantra so much you start to believe it. It doesn’t make it true though.

disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio Recent Posts Threads Started
824 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in United States
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio says

I think velocity, panning, EQ, and effects are really the most important thing in creating a good track.

by
by
by
by
by
by