• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
guitarjock says

I was just wondering what movies you all are either going to see this weekend, saw this weekend, or want to see soon.

I just saw Prometheus in IMAX 3 -D and loved it. I am a Sci-Fi fanatic and I love all of the Alien movies. So, it was likely inevitible that I liked it. I have to give Ridley Scott credit though, because I feel he kept it fresh and I now have many questions as to what else is going on in the story now.

I won’t post those questions yet until more of you have seen it as to not spoil anything for those who haven’t seen it yet.

Anyway, what did you see, or what are you going to see?

206 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

I wanna watch that then I wanna go watch madagascar! I love cartoons like that

420 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
NikiN Reviewer says

Yup, Prometheus was the best 3d movie I saw, such an intelligent and creative use of the technology !

1173 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Prometheus was a technically impressive -, but a boring and preachy sermon of a movie that asked so many questions, the writers didn’t bother to answer them – because I don’t think the writers know the answers themselves so they’ll give themselves 2-3 years to work them out in the sequel.

Production design was particularly brilliant and as a fan of the Alien ‘brand’, what the movie was trying to offer I suppose was interesting, but ya know… sometimes these things are best left to the imagination – (looks at Star Wars, notably Episode 2)

The worst part about it was the actual writing, the characters are just dull and only one actor (the always-excellent Fassbender) bothers to turn up. I found the characters very difficult to connect with and when I don’t understand their motivations, the movie becomes an INCREDIBLY DULL film. Then when it gets to the main discussion of the movie – I have no interest in listening because of not having a connection with the characters, a result of horrifically bad writing.

FYI , I’m a sci-fi fan too, and this was one of the most disappointing (and also deceptively marketed) films I’ve ever seen. I think if the movie was made by anyone other than Ridley Scott – it would probably have been panned by the critics.

A masterful movie, but it’s no masterpiece – technically profound, but there’s so much more to telling a story (and thus making a movie) then dazzling visuals.

It reminds me of Avatar to be honest. Avatar was a film made by a fabulous director past his best work and working with a hammy cliched and generally redundant script and the studios that funded it are hoping that audiences will be so impressed by the 3D visuals that they won’t notice that the movie itself is really not very good. This is also how I feel about Prometheus.

Perhaps I’ll re-evaluate when I’m not so disappointed, but honestly, I want my 2 hours and outrageous cinema ticket price back.

Just my opinion though, I love the Alien franchise, but I’m not going to apologize for it just because a cinema legend made this mind-numbing film.

990 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
simaudio says

I watched two this weekend, on dvd though.

Layer Cake and 127 Hours.

:)

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
jhunger says

For the foreseeable future it’s mostly G/PG rated movies for us, so yesterday we went and saw To The Arctic at the OMSI IMAX . Would have been a great 40 minutes if not for the highly distracting McCartney soundtrack.

We’ll have to see Madagascar as well – I haven’t seen any of them yet because I’m a Pixar snob (except for Cars 2 – what was that all about?), but my daughter’s about the right age and we owe her a cartoon after bypassing The Lorax, which looked like it would have been dreadful.

I am looking forward to getting a babysitter and seeing Moonrise Kingdom, though. Maybe next weekend.

Agreed on Avatar – I tried to watch some of it at one point and got bored. Maybe if I’d seen it on the big screen it would have been more impressive.

990 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
simaudio says

We’ll have to see Madagascar as well – I haven’t seen any of them yet because I’m a Pixar snob (except for Cars 2 – what was that all about?), but my daughter’s about the right age and we owe her a cartoon after bypassing The Lorax, which looked like it would have been dreadful.

As far as I can remember, the Madagascar films are not too bad, but like you I love the Pixar stuff, it’s so good for all ages I think they really get the balance right. I have had to endure hours of cartoon stuff, I think the worst being Chicken Little, it was so awful, I can’t believe I actually paid money to see that rubbish. My daughter is now twelve and her tastes are changing but we still love watching the Pixar stuff. I’ve finally got to the age where i am starting to feel uncomfortable about some of the stuff she does watch.

206 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

As far as I can remember, the Madagascar films are not too bad, but like you I love the Pixar stuff, it’s so good for all ages I think they really get the balance right. I have had to endure hours of cartoon stuff, I think the worst being Chicken Little, it was so awful, I can’t believe I actually paid money to see that rubbish. My daughter is now twelve and her tastes are changing but we still love watching the Pixar stuff. I’ve finally got to the age where i am starting to feel uncomfortable about some of the stuff she does watch.

Madagascar is wayyyyy better than chicken little. I didn’t like chicken little as well but that was a long time ago. But I think most cartoons by Pixar are excellent! Remember Monster Inc.? Funny, I feel young as a kid again when i watch these cartoons. :D

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
jhunger says

Madagascar is wayyyyy better than chicken little. I didn’t like chicken little as well but that was a long time ago. But I think most cartoons by Pixar are excellent! Remember Monster Inc.? Funny, I feel young as a kid again when i watch these cartoons. :D

Pixar does produce some of the best, and Monster’s Inc. was very very good. One of my favorite movies of all time is WALL -E, if just for the sublime first 30 minutes. What I like is (usually) the storytelling and dialog are top notch – they do an excellent job of appealing to both adults and kids without being too shameless about it.

simaudio, I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable about kids movies. My daughter is at this age between outgrowing the little kid stuff but wayyyyy too young for some of the young adult stuff out there. Same goes for books – she loves to read but is now at a level where any books that challenge her have subject matter that could make for interesting questions :).

1173 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

WALL -E, if just for the sublime first 30 minutes.

The greatest.

I would have happily done without sending Wall-E into space and just watching him on that desolate planet for another hour, but you gotta appeal to the kids too :D

by
by
by
by
by
by