48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
bluegestalt says

Hi mafloral, glad to see another prog metal head around here! ;)

My favourite bands are Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Fates Warning, Kansas… and many others!

About what sells more… what I try to do is to identify with the people who is going to buy my music. Even if you don’t make videos, flash games or web sites you can try to imagine your music in such contests. Doing so I can understand what my music can be good for. For a video? And for what kind of video? Is it enough catchy? Is it too complex or difficult?
Try to imagine music with ears different than yours (because what can be good for you maybe for someone else will be too hard at a first listening… and sometimes a first listening is the only thing you will get).

For web based environments music has to be subtle, so often the most sold are chill-out atmospheric songs (soft drums in the background, dreamy pads, etc…). Some corporate applications require happy and bright music, but if you make dark, nostalgic or intimate tracks (like me) you will find that you can have your buyers too.
Videomakers require many different styles of music, and here you can deal with a more wide range of emotions (for this reason maybe that’s one of the most exciting targets).

I listened to your tracks. They are good, and the sounds you use are great (even if you can improve a bit the mix). But in my opinion they are a bit “difficult” for the average listener… too many layers, too fast and complex rythms… and in the end too “metal” (and unfortunately there’s nothing less commercial than prog metal… I know this well :( ). Maybe you should try something easier and softer to make a change. It don’t have to be happy, but at least easy and catchy… and “usable”. If you have to be “hard” in a song, be that as much as you can. But for the most of your tracks you have to be “accessible” to make more sells.

Hope to have been of help!

2206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Thanks for the info.

What i am trying to do is upload a few different styles, and see what will sell. I know that Prog is not the best but i thought what the heck i’ll try it. I am working on a few new songs that are more main-stream for websites kind of happy and catchy. I just uploaded a full classical orchestra type movie theme.

Like i said before I enjoy all types of music so i will try to cater to everyone.

Anyhow, thanks again for the pointers.

Cheers

4342 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
...My favorite band is Dream Theater

+1.000.000

Dream Theater is just perfect!

2206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Cool Another DT fan.

Cheers

39 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
inkaudio says
it would be neat if we could find out what are the common search terms people use on this site

I subscribe to this great idea, it would be very helpful.

I’ve requested this feature too…

by
by
by
by
by
by