34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
studiosanne says

Hello everyone,

I did a search for a topic like this but couldn’t find anything. So I made one myself! :)

Just wanted to know how all the envato members here started with designing and programming in the first place. Tell your story about how you got into design/programming?

I think/hope this will be a very interesting topic if everyone just take a little bit of their time to write down his/her own story.

So to start off, here is mine:
My entry to design began in an arts classroom when I was about 14 years old. My artsteacher probably saw my drawings and on derivation of that, he asked my to make a poster to announce a schoolparty. Well I thought why not, lets give it a shot!

So I started making a very simple, and in my opinion, ugly poster in Photoshop 6.0 which my father borrowed from his office. It got approved and a week later it hang everywhere in the building. Quite scary, because you didn’t know how people were going to react on it. I got some very positive reactions, which was quite a surprise really! So from that point on, I started learning Photoshop. I spared a long time to actually get a copy of the software, and then started playing with it.

Now 2,5 years later, I’m able to create websites, posters, flyers, business cards etc. When I’m done with my study on middle-age school I will go to the Artsschool “St. Joost” located in Breda, The Netherlands.

I love everything about design and are really looking forward to learn form the professionals!

Forgive me for any misspellings and grammatical errors. I’m dutch, and still learning the language.

So, who will be the first after my post? :)

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hi studiosanne! how are you? I’ve seen something like this before, not sure where or when…but maybe with another name…anyways…I like to tell my story again!

I came to the USA to get an MBA in Finances 4 years ago. I got a bachelor degree in computer science, and was getting into the finances area since I thought it was going to be important for my career.

After a year or so, I moved out to NYC . I just felt in love with the city after a visit for independence day.

Once here, I continued my career and because of my computer skills, I’ve started helping out at my church. Finally I got a part time job there (actually was a volunteer) doing some designs for my pastor, for his preachings, newsletters, brochures, etc. I was kinda good with photoshop and indesign, and I had fun with it.

Eventually I became so interested with it, and started learning more. About 2 years ago, my church was planning a huge event in the New York area and my pastor relied on me for the complete marketing including design. After the event was finished, a lot of ministries, churches and non profit organizations, came to me asking me about my services. Since I’m an entreprenur, I accepted every design job.

By then, I met Envato, we made a partnertship. I finally decided to go with my company about 9 months ago, and right now I’m full time with my company and design career. My company is growing and I’m improving my skills every day with the help of the Tut’s site and other valuable help from authors here and resources.

For me, its a little frustrating sometimes I didnt come out early in my life that I so love much design as there are so many young talented kids around but as I heard once, “Talent is not enough”....

Thanks to God, I’m on the right path, company is going awesome and we’ll see what happens in a couple of years more.

Thanks for sharing your story too, loved it!

3868 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
flashjunkie says
7761 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

Me I just didn’t want to do manual work. :D So I start to learn to use computers. First computer I saw was one of those that have only the keyboard, you connect it to a tv then take a cassette recorder and wait for it half an hour to load the software, I think it was basic, but I’m not sure, I was to young at the time. The 90’s. Time fly. :|

But still hoping some day to become a writer, then I will truly do really “nothing” and earn lots of money. :D

4343 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
8291 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
3135 posts
+4 more
Daniel_R says
;)

http://activeden.net/forums/thread/envato-testimonials/17640

The best post in the forums so far 8)

true Ivor….

2715 posts
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
+7 more
DanielKeller says
http://activeden.net/forums/thread/envato-testimonials/17640?page=2#162256 thats me :)

watch out dude, no self-promotion allowed, even if you’re a forum superstar like me :D :P

8291 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
http://activeden.net/forums/thread/envato-testimonials/17640?page=2#162256 thats me :)
watch out dude, no self-promotion allowed :D :P

lol :D

3135 posts
+4 more
Daniel_R says
watch out dude, no self-promotion allowed :D :P
lol :D

lol No.2…now superstar are mods too… ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by