60 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
Wital says

The real musicant make music for soul. Money tomorrow…

1556 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says

The real musicant make music for soul. Money tomorrow…

What is a ‘real’ musician?

60 posts
  • Located in Ukraine
Wital says

Real musician is a creative person. He loves music more than money.

25 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Argentina
Leo_Artaza says

that’s why he wants to make a living out of it

217 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

So if a creative person makes money from their music they are not a real musician?

934 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

So if a creative person makes money from their music they are not a real musician?

Absolutely right! That’s why all the most famous musicians are living in poverty. :):):)

Personally I think you can be a musician and still appreciate money (and the food/shelter/ability to continue to make music it provides). Money (and also the emotional boost I get knowing that people actually enjoy and can use my music) has motivated me to continue to write when I otherwise wouldn’t have, and I can’t see how that’s a bad thing. If you’re making a living being a musician, that says to me that you love music all the more, because god knows there are far easier ways to make money.

Back to the point of the OP, the songs I write are very close to what I’d be writing for no $$ anyway, so I still very much enjoy creating my tracks. On the contrary, I find that if I try to write a more marketable song I usually have less success than if I just record whatever comes out.

1011 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
simaudio says

If you’re making a living being a musician, that says to me that you love music all the more, because god knows there are far easier ways to make money.

+1 on that! :)

338 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
johnny625 says

Do real creative musicians need money? Of course they do. They have bills and taxes to pay as everyone else.

On the other hand there are countless examples of musicians creating less and less interesting music from artistic prospective as they got more and more famous. I guess if you already sold millions of records you really don’t have to try as much, people would buy almost any music from you when you are that big. I am not saying that there aren’t famous artists that retained their artistic credibility, I am just illustrating a general trend.

1 post
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
Atlantix says

I do it because i like to improvise on my piano. Later i decided to record and sell my improvisations…

217 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

Do real creative musicians need money? Of course they do. They have bills and taxes to pay as everyone else. On the other hand there are countless examples of musicians creating less and less interesting music from artistic prospective as they got more and more famous. I guess if you already sold millions of records you really don’t have to try as much, people would buy almost any music from you when you are that big. I am not saying that there aren’t famous artists that retained their artistic credibility, I am just illustrating a general trend.

I don’t think this has anything to do with an artist getting more famous. As an artist gets famous record labels and managers become very risk adverse and are not willing to try new things for fear of killing the golden goose.

by
by
by
by
by
by