515 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
JonBuice says

I get such a boost from getting another sale (just started) but positive feedback motivates me more than ever. What’s keeps everyone truckin’!?

511 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Located in Italy
+1 more
bosone says

my motivation to record music was always to express some feeling and to create something. I love to make things and to create. When i compose my music i’m always pleased by the creation process. And sometimes i can even make something beautiful that other people enjoy.

That’s my main driving force!

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
purrifur says

i just like to mess with music :) oh, so many unfinished drafts i have…

1471 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

1 – strong feelings, both positive and negative
2 – nice sci-fi or surrealist stuff (books, movies, paintings)
3 – new “toys” (synths, plugins, updates of my DAW , sample libs, guitars, trumpets…etc)

515 posts
+5 more
JonBuice says

i just like to mess with music :) oh, so many unfinished drafts i have…

Tell me about it. Chances are the tune i’m working on now is already half way done somewhere on my harddrive. And Mihai, yeah new toys definitely get the creative juices flowing. I’m currently awaiting a new bass guitar. Can’t wait to get away from midi!

290 posts
+1 more
adammonroe says

Don’t really need motivation to do it, it’s just something that I do, because it’s more rewarding to me than doing anything else.

As far as inspiration gos, I think it’s best to listen to whatever or whomever you think is good when writing in a specific genre or theme. This helps the brain to get moving and sub-consciously you start absorbing certain structures, instrumentation, ect. For example, if I was writing a classical piece, I might listen to some of the old masters.

As far as the energy to keep you going, it can be rough sometimes. In most other creative mediums I can think of, people employ music to keep them going…but you obviously can’t do that in audio production. You just have to kind of develop a work ethic.

515 posts
+5 more
JonBuice says

Don’t really need motivation to do it, it’s just something that I do, because it’s more rewarding to me than doing anything else.

As far as inspiration gos, I think it’s best to listen to whatever or whomever you think is good when writing in a specific genre or theme. This helps the brain to get moving and sub-consciously you start absorbing certain structures, instrumentation, ect. For example, if I was writing a classical piece, I might listen to some of the old masters.

As far as the energy to keep you going, it can be rough sometimes. In most other creative mediums I can think of, people employ music to keep them going…but you obviously can’t do that in audio production. You just have to kind of develop a work ethic.

Yeah thats a good point. Although sometimes I have to be careful when listening to other work. So often i’ll find myself writing to similar to the piece i was listening for inspiration.

Do any of you do this for a living? I work and have just joined as more of a hobby/way to get my music out. I’m sure people that depend on their music to make a living have a different opinion on motivation.

8 posts
  • Located in Serbia
Alinore says

I just like music and different sounds. I think I could create music all day long. Usually different sounds inspire me but it all very much depends on my mood as well. I don’t do this for a living yet but would certainly very much like to, I hope I will someday :) By the way, great cartoon track you got there.

60 posts
TheRedGiant says

Sales don’t inspire me at all (because I don’t have any, LOL !).

It’s usually a film, or some story. Photos too. Like, right now I’m making this dark electronic thing that was totally inspired by images of Tokyo City at night.

Those kinds of visuals inspire me to make the cinematic kind of stuff.

Other kinds of music (rock-ish stuff, etc) are usually a result of me humming or silently thinking about note changes and eventually coming up with a melody/riff that I like. And the criteria is: if I don’t feel the need to violently stop everything else I’m doing to go and write the melody down (or record a crappy vocalization of it on my phone’s recorder, etc), then it’s not good enough and I just let it vanish from my memory.

And of course, there’s also the good ol’ Sitting-Lazily-With-My-Unplugged-Electric-Guitar-Watching-TV-and-Accidentally-Playing-a-Cool-Riff-and-Then-Running-to-the-Computer-and-Spending-the-Next-48-Hours-Recording-the-Thing-Without-Sleep-or-Food-and-Almost-Dying-in-the-Process technique. :D

For some reason, I cannot listen to other people’s music when I’m in a creative mood. It absolutely kills my creative flow. I get too involved and sucked into music whenever I listen to it so it’s really distracting for me to listen to other people’s stuff when I’m composing.

PatrickAThompson
PatrickAThompson Recent Posts Threads Started
144 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

What a great post!

I’m half and half… I keep an eye on what’s selling and will shoot at that style-du-jour.

Sometimes, I get an idea in my head and start playing… eventually, I’ve got an entire track.

This is all, of course, in between my actual scoring gigs… so, most of it boils down to letting off creative steam and being able to compose – unbridled by timing and sync points. :) I frequently write in opposition to any scoring I’m working on…

For example… if I’m writing a dark, sorrowful cue for a film, I’ll take a few hours break and write something lively and joyful for AJ…. I don’t know about you guys, but this helps me balance myself emotionally – because I tend to get really drawn into the music when I’m writing.

Let’s keep this going!!

by
by
by
by
by
by