• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

Wow, isn’t that kind of… I dunno… a lot? :)

I never spend more than say… 3-4 hours/week with my clients. Why so much time?
I suppose tonvie does a different kind of work. More personalized and for more than 35$ / theme…

Yep, I rushed to reply when I saw the numbers.

I do the same thing so I guess I’m pretty close to tonvie :)

By the way, tonvie, how many clients in total require 15-20 hrs of weekly work? I’m starting to think I’m doing too much for them :D

(apologies for going a little off here)

415 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Portugal
unisphere says

I spend about 1 to 2 hours per day on support on average, some days I reply to all in about 20 mins, some take longer.

When you get your item approved and if it finds its way to success my advice is to spend some time on updates that’ll make your life easier support wise, in other words, address the Buyer’s most common questions with an update, they’ll appreciate it, you will too :)

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
duotive says

i don’t have problems with the theme unless the customers are trying do to something that the theme dose not support or is in the demo OR install a plug-in that is not well coded and breaks the theme down. i spend on average 1/2 hour per day but there is days no one has any problem. maybe i don’t have as many sales as some guys here have but i just wanted to share.

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

When you get your item approved and if it finds its way to success my advice is to spend some time on updates that’ll make your life easier support wise, in other words, address the Buyer’s most common questions with an update, they’ll appreciate it, you will too :)

That’s great advice…i’ll make sure I focus on updates, though I can see being tempted to start on the next theme right away!

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

Good documentation can save you hours of support time.

548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
tonvie says

@DI & WG

I’ve got about 70 different clients with 70 different designs, some my own, some themes, some other design companies, and it’s starting to be a bit of a nightmare. Some days I do nothing but updates it seems like. I think I’ve set myself up to be too available for immediate support if you know what I mean. But I’m trying to offer a lot and very quick service since I’m still only a three year old company with no “big” clients to show for yet and still trying to make some sort of name for myself.

So, I’m still trying to figure this thing out ;) What do you think, am I spending too much time on this stuff? Should I be offering yearly contracts where I basically do anything they ask (minor, regular changes/additions) for a flat rate like I’ve been doing?

1148 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

Do you still find that people ask lots of questions that are already answered in the documentation? I’m also wondering if it comes to this, could I have someone else who has really studied the documentation provide tier one support? Or are most of the questions you get higher level?

3429 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Do you still find that people ask lots of questions that are already answered in the documentation? I’m also wondering if it comes to this, could I have someone else who has really studied the documentation provide tier one support? Or are most of the questions you get higher level?

You do get a lot of questions that are already answered in the documentation, as many users never read them before sending a support request. My solution to this is to put the docs online, which allows me to send them a link directly to the section of the help docs that contains their solution. Also, this alerts them to the fact that this resource exists, so hopefully they will check for their solution there before asking another question with a documented answer.

Having “live” docs online also means you can update the docs any time with new info and users can benefit.

Hopefully as you refine your product my making new releases and refine the docs by updating the guide and FAQs, you can whittle down the support requests the absolute minimum. I had a huge amount of support requests with my CodeCanyon item initially, but with those methods I’ve been able to greatly reduce the amount of time I spend on support.

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

If you cover everything then it takes 1 minute or less to simply link them to it.

328 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CLINE123 says

@Tonvie

I think it boils down to how much your time is worth. In the early days with not many clients competing for your time you could have afforded spending extra time. Now that your clientele has increased, a flat rate should at least account for a maximum number of hours beyond which clients needing updates would pay your hourly rate.

I believe the rule of thumb should always be a cost per hour maybe broken down into increments. I haven’t reached 70 clients yet but I already see the potential for such a dilemma.

@The authors

As a buyer too, good documentation trumps any excuse to comment. The links idea is a great solution.

by
by
by
by
by
by