328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

I want to do an online course to gain a better understanding of the WP themes I configure for clients and also secure some certification so that I can have the credentials to show my clients beyond saying I’m self-taught. Granted that there are many self taught theme authors on TF doing just fine but I have my reasons.

My Googles keep leading me to a site called Zend for PHP and I’m open to the input on where to begin- PHP , My SQL , Javascript etc of maybe online short courses with recognized certificates that any author may recommend?

229 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
Pressateers says

Certification means nothing, a portfolio means everything.

A good place to start if you don’t have a portfolio, is donate a website. Make sure in doing this, you remind your client it is FREE so there ARE limits, you’re only doing it to build your portfolio. You should only have to do this once, or if you’re me, never.

508 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

The Zend qualifications are well regarded with PHP developers but they aren’t know by the general public. There are no real known qualifications for web developers due to how fast development techniques are made. In 12 months the course can become obsolete.

The best way to show your credentials to your clients is your portfolio work, prove you can do xx work. Have an online portfolio to show your work.

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CLINE123 says

Thanks for the input. I have a portfolio and I’m actually making a living from this fulltime. Now I want to take it to the next level and I figure as long as I’m taking the time to learn and improve my knowledge I might as well back up it up with something official.

Sure, what’s on paper doesn’t make you an expert but I want to move beyond general ‘consumer’ sites to include more commercial enterprises who may need these things on a corporate level.

229 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
Pressateers says

Even then, there’s a low to no chance that they’ll want to see any certification, the company will just look at your portfolio and know you have it under control.

by
by
by
by
by
by