6 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
timtrott says

I think an apps section won’t really be a succes at codecanyon. Because I think that the public codecanyon is reaching are mainly webmaster,freelancer and not really the mainstream people who like to install something and hope it works. Yes, some of the client management etc are full applications but I ask myself how many of the buyers leave the installation like it is? Don’t they edit it to match their needs better ? And I think apps are meant to be standalone and not edited. lvbreda

As a “typical Codecanyon” customer I would welcome a source of configurable apps for branded RSS display, branded web site display, etc. By “branded” I mean that I could configure a specific web site into the app and add a custom skin. The objective would be for free distribution to customers with the intention of driving more traffic. I have a site with up to 1/4 traffic from smart phones and it would be nice to provide them with a free app to display RSS feeds from the site to increase traffic from that source.

1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

A new marketplace for the apps would be nice. How about call it AppOcean?

47 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sweden
JoelBesada says

I think that the best way to approach this is by selling apps aimed at developers, like Jeffrey pointed out. Across all Envato marketplaces, the items that are sold aren’t bought by the customers for solely their own enjoyment. Take the game category on Activeden for example, people buy these items not because they want to play the games themselves, but because they want their website visitors to play (oftentimes a customised version of) the game.

Unlike Apple or Google’s app stores, there wouldn’t be a point in selling unredistributable or uncostomisable games on an Envato marketplace, because that targets a completely different crowd. The apps would have to either be content that can be redistributed/embedded onto a website (such as Java applets), or apps that can be used to generate content (such as image editors). The apps would also have to be very specific in what they do, a generic image editor would probably not sell very well, since the customers that come to Envato will most likely have a superior image editor installed already. I’m sure though that the creative minds of the Envato marketplace sellers will come up with great apps for other developers to use.

Something that would be important to implement is some kind of way to let customers preview the apps, by offering a trial version for example. So let’s say, that a customer downloads a trial version of an app on the marketplace, and later decides to buy the full version. When the customer buys the app, they should either receive a key to unlock the app, or simply get flagged as a buyer on their Envato user account, which they then would log in with in the app to access the full version.

What I’m not sure about is, if these kinds of items should be sold on the Codecanyon marketplace, which focuses more on plugins etc, which can be directly inserted into the buyers website (and also come with the source code). I understand that it would take a lot of work to create a whole new marketplace for apps, so starting out on an existing one as an experiment is probably the quickest and easiest way to do it. I do hope though that you will be able to move these apps over to their own marketplace in the future.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with this experiment, and I’m excited to see how it all turns out. :)

5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
lowridertj says

Im all for an apps department. Some fail to see the upside to this in that Apps such as IM (internet marketing) applications can be very useful for webmasters (highly targeted here in this community). There is many forms of applications that can be provided. A webmasters ability is only limited by his or her creativity and the same rule applies here. If you limit the possibility you will never know the outcome. I for one have a basis opinion here. I have about 30 IM products that would help webmasters in many directions. Be it advertising, articles, web 2.0 and more.

16 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
enGMzizo says

As long as you are away from desk top applications you are cool

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

The apps category is going to focus exclusively on web development. So things like Structurer on Nettuts+ will be uploaded here.

16 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
enGMzizo says

The apps category is going to focus exclusively on web development. So things like Structurer on Nettuts+ will be uploaded here.

Big Like 8-)

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys! Just an update that the category should launch on June 20th. If you’ve developed a Mac, Windows, or Web app that was made specifically for web development purposes, let me know in this thread, and we’ll get your item ready for launch day!

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
SelfPublishServices says

I think you should keep an eye on how things go and, at some point, look twoards a ‘Mobile’ marketplace.

Sorry, not had a chance to read every post here if that has been mentioned countless times, I’m trying to not read the forums so much and get on with more work :)

by
by
by
by
by
by