4911 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Hello everyone, we recently made the decision to no longer allow keywords within file descriptions. The tags feature has been in place now for quite sometime, and the search references those, so adding keywords is no longer needed. It also adds another thing that reviewers need to check.

Moving forward any submissions that come through with keywords will result in the immediate banning of the author.

Okay, I’m completely joking, but the reviewers will remove the keywords before approving the item and probably write you a note. :)

Feel free to ask any questions, but I think this one is pretty cut and dry.

51 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
holypixel says

Do we need to remove keywords from items that already have them in the description?

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you mean by adding keywords to the descriptions? You’re talking about in the Item’s description, we can’t write them a certain way?

I’ve haven’t tried to write item descriptions to fool the search before, but I just want to make sure I’m writing them correctly so reviewers aren’t changing my descriptions in the future.

4911 posts
+9 more
Do we need to remove keywords from items that already have them in the description?

Nope this is just moving forward. All files already accepted are fine.

3180 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Hi can you clarify what is considered a keyword? Do you mean us writting ” this could be used for ….” will now be removed?

4911 posts
+9 more
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you mean by adding keywords to the descriptions? You’re talking about in the Item’s description, we can’t write them a certain way? I’ve haven’t tried to write item descriptions to fool the search before, but I just want to make sure I’m writing them correctly so reviewers aren’t changing my descriptions in the future.
Hi can you clarify what is considered a keyword? Do you mean us writting ” this could be used for ….” will now be removed?

Before we had the tag feature, the search used to index the description field only. So authors began adding a cloud of keywords to the bottom of each submission. We all did it, and it was fine back then because it helped the search find your file. But after adding the tagging feature the group of keywords is no longer needed, but many authors still do it.

Detailed descriptions are encouraged, we’re just asking authors to stop including a block of tags at the bottom. For example:

This is a template that is great for small businesses and features 5 pages to display photos, videos, and a functioning contact form! Thanks for buying

Template, business, corporate, blue, green, baby seals, bowling ball, cornish game hen, jquery, snazzy.

The first paragraph above would be a cheesy, but acceptable description :P. The second paragraph is what I’m referring to as a keyword or tag cloud. All of the tags should be added into the tag section, and only in the tag section.

3180 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

cool thanks I get it

592 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
flashato says
Detailed descriptions are encouraged, we’re just asking authors to stop including a block of tags at the bottom. For example:

This is a template that is great for small businesses and features 5 pages to display photos, videos, and a functioning contact form! Thanks for buying

Template, business, corporate, blue, green, baby seals, bowling ball, cornish game hen, jquery, snazzy.

Thanks for clarify :)
A

2241 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says

Just to clarify that concern, with keyboards inside the item’s description he means descriptions that – sometimes – are not even a description, but a pile of comma-separated words.

cool,good,template,amazing,high-quality,i,am,giving,an,example

Some do describe the item with a few paragraphs of text, coherent text, and then they just drop a huge keyword-novel.

Anyway, just wanted to point this out as I am really thankful that this measure is being taken from now on.

Chris

222 posts What dreams may come...
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VideoMagus says

IMHO just 15 tags in the way we have now are absolutely not enough… because one’s search could be pretty subjective… and what one is looking for a corporate production another would take for a music clip or sport show or war videogame and so on… The description keywords gave the files much more chance to get found… and just could be easily edited by VH reviewer in a fair way… Also very important, that VH authors have no option to upload items in a few categories simultaneously, like it’s well done on some other media-stocks… All the complex AE projects includes many different elements like the openers, displays, titles, etc… and maybe used in different ways and genres… and some footage as well could be suitable for very different projects, so why not to make possible to meet them in a few categories just under different criteria… ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by