UPDATE: FEB 2013: WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING THE SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD TO THE KNOWLEDGEBASE. STAY TUNED!
Seems like a lot of threads appear asking how best to promote your work. I wrote this article a few years ago primarily for ActiveDen, but a lot of the tips apply to all marketplaces. Everyone should read it. That said, I think it’s time for a list of ways to specifically promote AudioJungle music.
We can (and should) do this together in this thread. Please post your suggestions and anything remotely worthwhile or valid I will promote to the list below. Once we have a substantial list I will consider moving it over to the wiki. Finally, always remember that as with most things in life, success and happiness comes from the size and quality of the effort you put into things, and it’s even more enjoyable if you can do it with a smile, dedication and some passion for what you love most. Good luck!
Ways to Promote Your AudioJungle Music
- Upload frequently. This does not necessarily mean every day or multiple files per day. It simply means on a regular basis so that your name and brand and high quality music is out there. Let’s say you release 30 tracks in a year: You will potentially reach a bigger audience if you spread those tracks out throughout the entire year instead of just 30 tracks on one day.
- Don’t get burned out. There’s a temptation to invest TOO much time in a SHORT period of time and think that you have not improved your marketing and promotion. Appreciate that selling royalty-free music is a MARATHON, not a sprint. Lots of small work is better than one big concerted effort that you just leave alone. Create a plan. Make it manageable and stick to it.
- Read and utilize the AudioJungle Author Resources page.
- Post your WATERMARKED AudioJungle music on YouTube, Vimeo etc…
- Post your WATERMARKED AudioJungle music on SoundCloud. Be sure to join the OFFICIAL SoundCloud Group on SoundCloud and post/share your music to our group. Link it to your AudioJungle item page. You can update each submission with a “Buy” button that links to your AudioJungle item page.
- Embed Soundcloud instances of your AudioJungle tracks onto your Facebook wall. Or, just link to/promote your AudioJungle items on Facebook.
- Start using Twitter. Yes, it’s a science in itself, but use it to promote you and your work. Start off by using the Tweet buttons on your item pages. Understand however that solely posting links to your audio will not be of interest to your followers. Talk about yourself and your life and throw in the occasional link to your music instead. Be sure to use hash tags in your tweets.
- Create your own Web site to promote your music.
- Create a blog and discuss, post and embed your AudioJungle music in your blog.
- Use the AudioJungle Music Player to embed your music in your blog or Web site. Be sure to add your referral ID to make extra income.
- Become a stalwart of the Envato community. Immerse yourself in the community by being positive and helpful in the forums. Comment on new files and encourage other authors. Positively rate your fellow author’s collections etc…
- Create public collections of your own work. Note that a successful technique is also to create collections based on themes, seasons and genres from ALL authors, but put SOME of your own best files in there too. Then it does not look so selfish or biased to a customer.
- Brand yourself! Spend time enhancing and updating your profile page. Make sure your avatar/thumbnail does not look amateur, make it look as professional as possible. Musical genius but awful at Photoshop? Find a friend on GraphicRiver to help you work on your brand! Find/use Photoshop templates on GraphicRiver, answers are right below your nose! Likewise, use a ThemeForest template for your new blog or Web site.
- Liaise with VideoHive authors and encourage them to use your audio in their video previews.
- Effectively tag your files.
- Diversify your portfolio – produce and write tracks for as many genres as possible.
- Try to time the publication date of your audio: Releasing a Christmas track on Christmas Eve is not generally a good idea, even if it is the best piece of audio the world has ever heard. Plan ahead – release it early enough for it to be heard and grow momentum. Allow enough time to promote it.
- Offer a way for subscribers to register for your own newsletter via your own Web site. Create regular e-mails to inform interested customers of your latest AudioJungle releases.
- Understand the mindset that homepage exposure is NOT the “Holy Grail” to becoming a top author on AudioJungle.
- Submit some of your content to the Bargain Basement
- Read Envato Notes regularly, particularly interviews with authors to learn new ways of marketing and becoming successful.
- Link to your AudioJungle portfolio in your e-mail signature. It’s simple, easy, and discreet.
- Write descriptions for your items that contain pertinent keywords. This does not mean a list of keywords, it means full sentences that contain important keywords that will help search engines rank your item page better.
- Get involved with EXTERNAL music sites such as a forum about a particular DAW you like to use. Add your AudioJungle portfolio link to your forum signature. Note, this is obviously not allowed on the Envato forums.
- Create a business card promoting your AudioJungle portfolio. Hand it out to everyone you meet!
- Create FREE music and when and however you distribute it, heavily publicize your AudioJungle portfolio. Important note: You CANNOT give away your AudioJungle music for free if you are an Exclusive author. This tip implies creating a brand new track for the sole purpose of giving it away for free to help publicize the rest of your portfolio.
Please add your ideas, suggestions and recommendations to the thread below.
What an awesome wall of useful information! Thanks for writing all that out Scott
Thanks Scott, very helpful
Thank you very much Scott, there’s a lot of things to do Thanks for sharing these helpful advices!
- Has been a member for 3-4 years
- Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
- Author was Featured
- Author has had an Item Featured
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Exclusive Author
- Bought between 10 and 49 items
- Referred between 1 and 9 users
Thanks! Totally forgot that bargaiment basement…
Great info, Scott! I will read it carefully later tonight and implement some of your suggestions.
Great help for beginners, Scott! Thank you very much!
This is great. I’m gonna get on the case during my Christmas holidays
Scott I have a question. Is there a possibility that we have some free watermark videos for presenting our music via youtube and vimeo? Something like when we donated some free music few years ago for vh and activden authors.
Have a nice day!
Scott I have a question. Is there a possibility that we have some free watermark videos for presenting our music via youtube and vimeo? Something like when we donated some free music few years ago for vh and activden authors.Have a nice day!
Hey Leto, Merry Christmas, I like your Santa hat! That’s actually a really good idea! So if I understand what you’re saying, you’d like some kind of template for creating a video where you just add your own audio, edit it to the length you need in Movie Maker on a PC or iMovie on a Mac (for example) and then submit it to YouTube? For example, some kind of animated AudioJungle motion graphic or series of graphics? If so, that might be something we could try and arrange with a VH author. Would any other AudioJungle authors find this useful or do you think you would prefer to create your own video so that you can customize it yourself and make it look different to everyone else’s?