360 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

I have the same concerns as Gareth – the barrier to entry is way too low.

I agree.

+1 for deleting files with no sales after a year.

563 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I remember some site I joined a while back used to charge 5 dollar fee to discourage people from bombarding the music job opportunities with all of their music. At first I thought this was a bad practice but now I see what happens when there is nothing in place to make people think twice about what they are uploading. Even a 1 dollar upload credit fee would make people think twice about uploading dance loops 1 through 300. Plus if your stuff is good you would make it back fast enough anyway. Might be horrible idea but those that are confident in their writing shouldnt care. It really is the only way to cut down on people’s uploads, that or some kind of monthly limit.

767 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+2 more
PhilLarson says

I game with have songs with no sales after 1 year be deleted. Would drastically get rid of some clutter. I would agree that ANY of my songs with no sales after 1 year aren’t worth keeping any longer. There’s already one that has no sales that I’m contemplating taking down for good anyway.

48 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
bluelagoon says

I game with have songs with no sales after 1 year be deleted. Would drastically get rid of some clutter. I would agree that ANY of my songs with no sales after 1 year aren’t worth keeping any longer. There’s already one that has no sales that I’m contemplating taking down for good anyway.

+1 to that brother!

576 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
guitarsstate says

I’ve deleted all of my files with zero sales. No I’m thinking of erasing items with up to 3 purchases (if they are more than an year old). Something’s got to be done. Some of my files are waiting more than a week now to be reviewed and that has never happened before. I think the reviewers have nothing to do with this. Is more like us the authors are to blame :)

QuadraphonixAssociation
QuadraphonixAssociation Recent Posts
Threads Started
1030 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
QuadraphonixAssociation says

Maybe they could offer the next AJ contest similar to the last one in which every author had to delete the tags from those item descriptions and had to post in the forum ‘all done’ afterwards.

In this contest all authors (who have been with AJ over one year) would have the chance to delete all their items with 0 sales which are one year old or older from their portfolio.

After that they can post ‘all done’ into the forums and the winner’s are chosen randomized again.

Maybe this could be a good way to get rid of all those leftovers…

576 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
guitarsstate says

Maybe they could offer the next AJ contest similar to the last one in which every author had to delete the tags from those item descriptions and had to post in the forum ‘all done’ afterwards.

In this contest all authors (who have been with AJ over one year) would have the chance to delete all their items with 0 sales which are one year old or older from their portfolio.

After that they can post ‘all done’ into the forums and the winner’s are chosen randomized again.

Maybe this could be a good way to get rid of all those leftovers…

+1

490 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
tacoMusic says

I remember some site I joined a while back used to charge 5 dollar fee to discourage people from bombarding the music job opportunities with all of their music. At first I thought this was a bad practice but now I see what happens when there is nothing in place to make people think twice about what they are uploading. Even a 1 dollar upload credit fee would make people think twice about uploading dance loops 1 through 300. Plus if your stuff is good you would make it back fast enough anyway. Might be horrible idea but those that are confident in their writing shouldnt care. It really is the only way to cut down on people’s uploads, that or some kind of monthly limit.

I’m assuming that site began with ‘T’, had an ‘a’, bit of an ‘x’ and ended in ‘i’? Some people say that particular company gets regular placements for them, but I disagree with any service that charges its composers an entry fee for submissions as it’s essentially taxing the content creators yet again (we have enough of that with distributor percentages taken off).

Obviously, it’s a business model that works for that company, but introducing that here would, quite rightly, put off a lot of composers – us included. It’s hard enough trying to earn a living from music as it is without needing to pay a fee to continue trying. After all, having to pay to get my tracks into a library would suggest they don’t believe my music can sell – that wouldn’t fill me with much confidence to continue submitting!

That said, I totally agree a higher quality threshold is needed despite it being difficult to do with creative work as it’s such a subjective area. Pruning off tracks that don’t sell over a year is a great idea, as is having a maximum number of tracks you can upload a month.

Personally, I’m impressed with AJ and I think the whole process is pretty smooth considering the quantity of tracks submitted daily. My rejections so far have been justified (despite my ego flaring its ugly head occasionally) and I know the team and I would happily work on pushing up our standards to keep submitting here rather than have to try and get noticed among swathes of average tracks.

And if AJ don’t prune our tracks, we probably will!

563 posts
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

Yeah I think 1 dollar wouldn’t hurt anyone specially since you know your uploading quality you would make it back fast enough, maybe they can bump everyone up 1 or 2 percentage points on a sale. Maybe A.J. could take the money and have more contest, monthly and weekly best seller bonuses, new item performance bonus, hire extra worker for A.J. etc.. The problem is clearing out 1 year old songs would be a great start but the increase of authors isn’t going to stop.

People realize that AudioJungle is becoming a top runner in the royalty free music game with its well organized and user friendly site. People are starting to come here because its a free for all. The only way to stop a author from coming here and dumping his or her 300 plus already built up library is some kind of upload fee. It isn’t a popular thought, I know that, but again besides a monthly limit its the only thing that could possibly stop some this huge issue.

I for one would not mind paying a dollar if I knew it would help me in the long run make more money, and it could be given back to the community. it would be more like an investment. This is a problem that if not controlled will ruin it for everyone except those that are the few top established front runners here.

Another problem is they might like telling customers how large of a song database they have more then trimming the number of songs with zero sales down.

767 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PhilLarson says

The only way to stop a author from coming here and dumping his or her 300 plus already built up library is some kind of upload fee. I for one would not mind paying a dollar if I knew it would help me in the long run make more money, and it could be given back to the community. it would be more like an investment.

+1. Agree!

by
by
by
by
by
by