disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio Recent Posts Threads Started
824 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in United States
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio says

So I saw a Harmonica Kontakt Instrument for $150, and I was thinking, couldn’t you buy a decent Microphone and a brand new harmonica and play a real one for maybe half that price? I am all for instrument emulation and sampling, but I think there comes a point where we need to think about actually learning to play the real instrument. I’ve been contemplating buying the Ukelele from Wavesfactory, but I was thinking maybe if I just saved up a little more money I could just get the real thing and record it live.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Correction to title: I mispelled the word Unnecessary—that’s really going to bug me.

542 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
Synchrotron says

I partly agree with you. In some cases you could do it with an instrument yourself. Although, many of us writes music on demand and not only library music. Sometimes with really tight deadlines. Then you need the sampled instruments.

Also, not all have a good room to record in. An ukulele and a great mic can be ruined by a horrible room that can be hard to get rid of after recording. There’s also the time it takes to learn an instrument, make it sound good and have enough technique to be able to perform like you want it to sound.

I’ve found harmonica to be a hard instrument to be reasonable good at. Although, I don’t own any harmonica library, unless it’s included in Complete Composers Collection from EastWest. Might be a harmonica somewhere in there.

358 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlamanna says

I agree with Synchrotron, most of us are on a time crunch. Working a full time day job and clients wanting music knocked out quick I always turn to a good kontakt library.

512 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
JonBuice says

So I saw a Harmonica Kontakt Instrument for $150, and I was thinking, couldn’t you buy a decent Microphone and a brand new harmonica and play a real one for maybe half that price? I am all for instrument emulation and sampling, but I think there comes a point where we need to think about actually learning to play the real instrument. I’ve been contemplating buying the Ukelele from Wavesfactory, but I was thinking maybe if I just saved up a little more money I could just get the real thing and record it live.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Correction to title: I mispelled the word Unnecessary—that’s really going to bug me.

I totally agree for things like acoustic guitar, electric guitar, shakers, tambourines, and other relatively simple (and readily available instruments). However..idk about the rest of you, but I sure can’t afford to hire an orchestra :) I always try to lead away from sample based music as much as I can. It’s always good to learn a new instrument anyway. I REALLY wish I had room for an upright…even though I love my piano libraries.

358 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlamanna says
But I should say, I play real guitar and bass as much as I can, nothing beats the real thing. Not to promote myself at all but I played bass and guitar in this track http://audiojungle.net/item/just-one-day/4443972
by
by
by
by
by
by