• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

So.. Vimeo allows for embedding, YouTube allows for embedding, but there was a discrepancy on whether you’re allowed to embed a video within a template? That’s a ridiculous notion to begin with and I honestly don’t feel there should even be a debate regarding it! If Vimeo doesn’t want their uploads/video player being promoted, so be it then; we’ll just use YouTube. Just my 2-cents…

YouTube player ruines the look of a website. It’s the ugliest player i have ever seen.

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says

So.. Vimeo allows for embedding, YouTube allows for embedding, but there was a discrepancy on whether you’re allowed to embed a video within a template? That’s a ridiculous notion to begin with and I honestly don’t feel there should even be a debate regarding it! If Vimeo doesn’t want their uploads/video player being promoted, so be it then; we’ll just use YouTube. Just my 2-cents…

Well then, use YouTube. Those who actually appreciate quality videos, a creative and intelligent community, will go with Vimeo.

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
beetlesales says

I’m sorry for the misconception guy’s. What I’m trying to say is Vimeo acts as if they don’t want people utilizing their videos within a commercial template. That seems a little fishy from my end, as it only makes sense to allow for such usage…

Here’s the message from Vimeo..

“Hi Jason, Thanks for contacting us and for your enthusiasm with Vimeo! In this particular case, since you’re demonstrating that your themes allow the embedding of videos from Vimeo, we see no problem with including an example video embed with your sample themes. We appreciate you asking us about this usage first. Now go forth and conquer.”

In this particular case sounds as if there would be an issue if their videos were used in another circumstance. Just doesn’t make sense, as there’s an “EMBED” option available to anyone, for any project.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ you have to read the full message I sent them which includes a link to this blog post:

http://notes.envato.com/authors/embedding-videos-in-item-previews/

Read the “Vimeo” part and it should help put things in better context.

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
beetlesales says

^ you have to read the full message I sent them which includes a link to this blog post: http://notes.envato.com/authors/embedding-videos-in-item-previews/ Read the “Vimeo” part and it should help put things in better context.

Thanks for the link CodingJack. After reading the Vimeo section of that blog post, I can clearly see there would be an issue with the usage of Vimeo videos within the actual commercial templates. However, considering a live preview is a “personal” resource only used to showcase a commercial template, I don’t see it being a problem :)

After all, you aren’t selling the Vimeo video with the commercial template, right? The live previews are only there to show a user the “capabilities” of the template in question.

• United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ I don’t necessarily disagree. But regardless of Vimeo’s intentions, their verbiage is pretty clear:

“your own personal, non-commercial purposes”

Envato made the right decision in suggesting we don’t use Vimeo based on that information. But because I think our situation is a bit unique I decided to write them.

For example, we aren’t placing Vimeo Video in some product’s television ad. Instead, we’re providing shortcuts to help connect Vimeo’s service with webmasters of all skill levels. So I think there’s a big difference between the two and that’s probably why Vimeo responded with the green light :)

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

This is good news, thanks!

642 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
navigator says

Everything is clear now with Vimeo. Thanks CJ for sharing this :)

• United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

Maybe we’ll get an updated Vimeo recommendation from staff on Envato Notes. But until then I switched out my Vimeo previews with videos I personally authored and will probably stick to that practice for the time being. Seems like the safest route based on all the current info.

233 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stammi says

Thanks for clearing this up! :)

by