5088 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Thank you Felt Tips! What went wrong with me: I have a project I´ve put on videohive in march 2013, and since then it sells 20~25 times per month. After the new search engine, no more sales. On Videohive, If you put “race” and sort by sales, the first project on the list doesn´t mention the word “race”.It´s awful, and like Felt Tips said: “At the end of the day, the livelihoods of thousands of people are dependent on these search algorithms”.

I feel your pain, Diego.

The file I uploaded 8 months ago had been selling well. On average 7 sales a week. The week before last, it was second to top of the popular items in its category with 13 sales IIRC. In November, it sold 32 times, in December it sold 20 times, in January, it sold 27 times. In the first 10 days of February, it sold 14 times, with a relatively even spread of sales. Since the 10th February it has sold …. twice.

The change to the search engine happened on 10th February, IIRC. The day before this thread was started.

2 sales in 10 days. A drop of 80% compared to the sales of the last three months, coinciding exactly with the changes to Search.

I would say that the numbers I’ve mentioned are statistically significant. Ancient and low-selling files of mine are suddenly experiencing an unprecedented boost in sales, while the file in question, which is a relatively recent, decently selling and much liked file has just died. This appears to match the other examples that posters in this thread have given of irrelevant, low-selling and old files are turning up very high in the Best Match rankings.

So – should I change the title from “22 Awesome Cartoon Text Presets”, just to “Cartoon Text” and stuff the description with keywords instead of putting useful information in there? Or perhaps copy the title, keywords and description from a similar file that appears to still be selling. Because that’s what Search is telling me to do loud and clear.

832 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

I wont be reading the rest of the posts in this thread. But I made a few searches, and it seems that your Search is quite buggy with the synonyms.
I searched for the term “navigation” And it gave me the following results.

Please note that I have also changed the “Sort By:” to Prices. (in case you want to reproduce the error.)

96 posts Keep Working
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+6 more
robertojorge says

So – should I change the title from “22 Awesome Cartoon Text Presets”, just to “Cartoon Text” and stuff the description with keywords instead of putting useful information in there? Or perhaps copy the title, keywords and description from a similar file that appears to still be selling. Because that’s what Search is telling me to do loud and clear.

Brian agree on all that was/is being said on this thread and on the Sales Monitor thread. I hope that it doesn’t come to this or VH will face a dark age at least losing all its fundamental characteristics that distinguishes from the competition and that makes the market that is today.

I do feel the pain of all fellow authors expecting a great February and about to turn on a “Black February” for maybe most of us.

And before i leave my opinion/Feeling i hope devs and staff take this on the positive and true side of things and not the other way round. Also not understating coding but i can imagine that all these algorithms take a lot of effort / know how / work to implement and i do much respect everyone that is hard working.

Now i share my Feeling as an Author since Nov 2010, and i think that one way or another those that are here for a while feel something similar if not the same.

Sales – Drastically reduced as mentioned many times by many people wich is rightfully a big concern to those that spend time envolved with this marketplace and rely on the earnings to put food on the table.

2nd but not less important – “Our Sense of Belonging” – One way or another every author here that spends time / Months / Years have learned how to “Feel” the Market, how it reacts, how it works. Its our Ecosystem. We might be all wrong, after all we are designers and not coders, so maybe we have been wrongly working since the beginning what respects “search technology”.

But this was the way we grew as community and as business in a all, so we until recently felt comfortable because even if the “search rules” were wrong we knew them and over the time we adjusted our selfs creating, marketing, tagging and so on to those rules.

Now those same rules that we were educated changed completely, and to be honest i feel completely lost. Our “Ecosystem” changed from night to day. I no longer know where is “North and South”.

As an author / buyer / referral until a few days ago i was sure of the path that i should continue, now i dont know anymore.

We all feel that a little bit of VH belongs to each one of us and the frustration that i feel now is not only because sales drooped, is also that i dont recognize this VH that we grew up with.

Once again just my feeling / opinion, dont take it wrong. We all know that everyone wants the best for VH.

To finish up as Brian said before maybe what is good for themeforest may not be good for videohive. All markets have a different “Ecosystem” that make them what they are today “Successful”.

Sorry to write so many lines, just to take it out and share with the community. Best Regards RJ

1615 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

Anothr problem with search

Is this the problem with the search engine? I think that the name of the item category is being boosted extremely high. I was checking, because sales of my current best selling file, 22 Awesome Cartoon Presets file fell off a cliff a couple of weeks ago. It was selling regularly and well and then it just stopped.

Here’s the probable reason.

Search for “cartoon”.

Note that all the files returned are in the a sub-category named “cartoons”. Take the 18th best match – It’s a file called “clock with hearts”.

It does not have the word “cartoon” in the title. It does not have the word “cartoon” in the description and it does not have the word “cartoon” in the keywords. It has 4 sales. Rank: 18

My file has “cartoon” in the title. It has “cartoon” in the keywords, it has “cartoon” several times in the description and it has 228 sales. Rank: 80

I suspect my file was previously ranking high under the search “cartoon”, now it doesn’t rank at all because it’s in the Add-ons/Presets category. It ranks high on searches for “preset”, but that’s obviously not how people were finding it.

Could it be that other users who have experienced a significant drop in sales are suffering from the same issue?

Yes ! that is absolutely a problem which has to be solved as soon as possible. What the hell is going on with the search.

If i search for CLOUDS, it gives me a snow in the first top matched item http://videohive.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=clouds just because it is in the clouds category.

This is totally wrong. Madlep should fix this. Please disconnect the search term relevance from the category!!!!!!

172 posts
  • Located in Brazil
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
DiegoMirnov says

Cyzer said: “Please disconnect the search term relevance from the category!!!!!!” I totally agree with you Cyzer, relevance(best match)=nonsense.

5088 posts
+11 more

@madlep…

Some of the authors over at Videohive would kind of like to have some background or some information on this:

Take a look at Cyzer’s post above. He’s quoting my post from the Sales Monitor thread over at Videohive where the talk over the past couple of weeks has been almost exclusively about absent sales. This goes well beyond the usual level of sales anxiety in this long running thread.

The concrete case I make above is that a file is ranking 18th best match under the search “cartoon”, although it has the word “cartoon” nowhere in its title, description or tags. It also has only 4 sales. My file has “cartoon” in its title, its description and its tags, and has 228 sales. It ranks 80th. It’s just not showing up under cartoon any more, and I suspect that’s why its sales have plummeted.

I picked the 18th best match, since it doesn’t feature the term cartoon at all, but there are plenty of other files up at the top that feature the term only once. If you’re interested I can send you over the chart of this file’s sales over the last 3 months where you will see a very graphical representation of the tumbleweed blowing through February’s sales. I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s unlikely to be a simple statistical anomaly. It seems to me that this boosting of the category in the best match is what’s responsible for many of the anomalies that authors have been citing.

I’m going to push to have my file moved out of the Presets category where it arguably belongs, and into cartoons, so that it continues to sell once again. Technically, it belongs in cartoons and presets, but this is not possible given the current data structure.

As an author, I can’t begin to describe how frustrating and alienating it is to finally publish a file that gets some good sales traction, only to have that scuppered after a couple of months by something as arbitrary as a change to the search algorithm. We authors are already at the mercy of the markets vagaries. To also be at the mercy of search algorithm vagaries is sometimes just too much to bear.

Let us know. :-)

322 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
mothinkers says

@madlep… Some of the authors over at Videohive would kind of like to have some background or some information on this

+1, An update from the Devs Team would be much appreciated from everyone here I think!

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
madlep Envato team says

I’ve set up a dedicated thread for collecting all the search feedback at http://videohive.net/forums/thread/search-engine-dev-team-updates-post-feedback-here/124038

It was getting hard to follow a dozen or so threads across different sites, so this should make it easier for everyone to contribute and keep up with issues that are going on.

5088 posts
+11 more

I’ve set up a dedicated thread for collecting all the search feedback at http://videohive.net/forums/thread/search-engine-dev-team-updates-post-feedback-here/124038 It was getting hard to follow a dozen or so threads across different sites, so this should make it easier for everyone to contribute and keep up with issues that are going on.

Cool. Good idea. I’ll divert search-themed traffic that way.

by
by
by
by
by
by