147 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
PaulVictor says

I am very excited about this new marketplace! I have a few tutorials that I wish to sell and I have read the Upload instructions and it has a some restrictions for tutorials but I need to know if we can use textures from other people in the tutorial. Could we watermark ithe images with their name and link back to their profile like every Envato tutorial? How does it work?

1603 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+8 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

I’m not a reviewer or staff on this marketplace, so I’m only guessing and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong or something :)

You’re free to use textures or items from another author as long as you’re not including the item itself inside the files, put a link to each of the resources used and make sure to remove them from the source-file itself.

As I said, this is only my guess and I could be wrong. But something tells me that it works the same way as the tuts+ sites does ;) Just use common sense and give a linkback to each of the items used and you should be fine.

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
PaulVictor says

That’s what I thought but what if you use photographs from a website such as Dreamstime.com or Istockphoto and the Photoshop technique affects the photograph only (a Layer Mask) for example. Then what? Do we need to watermark the image in the final PSD file (do we even neeed to supply the PSD file)? What happens when the photographer takes his file offline from his Flickr Account, the tutorial will become useless in a way?

1603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+8 more
PatrikL Reviewer says
That’s what I thought but what if you use photographs from a website such as Dreamstime.com or Istockphoto and the Photoshop technique affects the photograph only (a Layer Mask) for example. Then what? Do we need to watermark the image in the final PSD file (do we even neeed to supply the PSD file)? What happens when the photographer takes his file offline from his Flickr Account, the tutorial will become useless in a way?

When it comes to resource sites such as iStockphoto and Dreamstime, my guess is that you’re not allowed to include the photograph itself. Put a link to it and encourage the buyer to purchase the photo, if they want that photo, they buy it.

Making a tutorial based on a specific photo ain’t to recommend, make use of techniques that goes for all types of photos instead, or give a link to similar photos where you can use the same techniques.

To get a tutorial approved it needs to be of high-quality, just as Skellie say in this thread. And in my opinion, a tutorial aimed towards only one specific photograph ain’t that much high-quality. This limits the techniques and will make poor sales and poor ratings.

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
PaulVictor says

I know we can’t include the images in the file itself but can we use them in the written tutorial? Also is it possible to sell already published tutorials and take them offline from the original source?

1603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+8 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

You’re able to use a photo in a written tutorial, just make sure it’s watermarked properly if you’re showing it in fullsize or only showing the image. So instead of including the photo in the /image folder, just put the image as a img src=” tag with an a href=” tag to the watermarked photo.

Not so sure about the other question you have there, so I’m leaving that one to Skellie :)

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
PaulVictor says

Yeah I know how to format tuts :) Hopefully, Skellie can answer the remaining questions. Thanks for your help, Patrik!

1603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+8 more
PatrikL Reviewer says
Yeah I know how to format tuts :) Hopefully, Skellie can answer the remaining questions. Thanks for your help, Patrik!

I figured you did ;) Just wanted to make sure. :)

No problem, it was my pleasure!

147 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
PaulVictor says

Could a mod or someone else with ‘authority’ please confirm what Patrik mentioned so I won’t be wasting time writing the tutorial?

34 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+3 more
Skellie says

Hey Paulus 1987, good question! You can use photography in your tutorial if you have the rights to use it (i.e. you have purchased it, or have the license to use it, such as a Creative Commons license, or permission from the creator). If you’re using stock photography, it must be watermarked by the stock provider – for example, it must have an iStockPhoto watermark on it in the final PSDs, or in any cases where you reproduce the stock photo in whole. For images that show the stock photo incorporated in the larger body of work (for example, you have integrated a stock photo of a tree into a broader artwork) you no longer need the watermark because you are not directly reproducing the stock photo, but putting it to use.

This kind of stuff is a bit complex, I know, but I hope that made sense.

by
by
by
by
by
by