• Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I think all files are considered equal by first time buyers anyway. If I were browsing through files and came across a few that had updates, there would be no reason for me to believe that those files were better or worse because they have been updated.

I think the whole point of this thread, as I said earlier, was to point out to people who have already purchased the file, that it has been updated. Rather than hoping, someday, they come back to check the item’s description. Providing an icon or something similar, next to the item, in the downloads page would be a transparent way to display this to buyers. And in doing so, would not change the external views to potential buyers.

In the past, many people including myself, suggested that the system auto-email previous buyers to notify them that the file was updated. Buyers of the file would be able to opt-in, or opt-out of this auto email. BUT this system can get a bit spammy and annoying if the author has a lot of updates.

This new icon based notification, could avoid all of these pitfalls, while still providing people who have purchased the file, with update information, in a non-intrusive manner.

2114 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
fifty_tons says

+1 to this idea, combined with email notifications about updates.

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
srhnbr says

Why not encourage your buyers to follow you on Twitter.

This way whenever you have updated a file you Tweet about it and everyone get’s notified.

Sure, people who have not bought that particular file will also see the update but hey, it just may propt them to go ahead and purchase it :)

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says
Why not encourage your buyers to follow you on Twitter.

This way whenever you have updated a file you Tweet about it and everyone get’s notified.

Sure, people who have not bought that particular file will also see the update but hey, it just may propt them to go ahead and purchase it :)

I’m also doing this, but not everyone uses Twitter. I like Mark’s idea of adding an icon on the downloads page. Maybe even going one furthur and adding an “Updates” tab to their Account Page with a small number as to how many files have been updated similar to the way the App Store on the iPhone works.

1234 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

The idea is good. Though personally I think there are more efficient ways, such as putting the notification on the buyer’s downloads page ;)

70 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
tomh says

I think the red label comprimise isn’t that good – as updating your file is an easy way for a seller to make their item have a big red shiny banner next to it, and therefore get more attention.

All items should have a hidden version number, and when people have purchased it, they can go to their account page and see a list of products they’ve bought that have been updated since. They can then dismiss these or download them.

5033 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

email notification with opt out seems like a good plan. Personally, I have so many things to keep up with on-line, that I always welcome a ‘push-service’. You just sign up and then forget about it.

It is potentially a bit spammy, but compared to the amount of unwanted junk mail that lands in the average inbox of a day, I don’t think it would be so much of a worry… especially if it’s an opt-in at the time of buying. It could even be done on a per file basis.

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

This wouldn’t be such a bad idea if it were implemented onto the download page for files.

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by