+1 to your original idea contempo

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I think all files are considered equal by first time buyers anyway. If I were browsing through files and came across a few that had updates, there would be no reason for me to believe that those files were better or worse because they have been updated.

I think the whole point of this thread, as I said earlier, was to point out to people who have already purchased the file, that it has been updated. Rather than hoping, someday, they come back to check the item’s description. Providing an icon or something similar, next to the item, in the downloads page would be a transparent way to display this to buyers. And in doing so, would not change the external views to potential buyers.

In the past, many people including myself, suggested that the system auto-email previous buyers to notify them that the file was updated. Buyers of the file would be able to opt-in, or opt-out of this auto email. BUT this system can get a bit spammy and annoying if the author has a lot of updates.

This new icon based notification, could avoid all of these pitfalls, while still providing people who have purchased the file, with update information, in a non-intrusive manner.

2115 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says

+1 to this idea, combined with email notifications about updates.

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
srhnbr says

Why not encourage your buyers to follow you on Twitter.

This way whenever you have updated a file you Tweet about it and everyone get’s notified.

Sure, people who have not bought that particular file will also see the update but hey, it just may propt them to go ahead and purchase it :)

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says
Why not encourage your buyers to follow you on Twitter.

This way whenever you have updated a file you Tweet about it and everyone get’s notified.

Sure, people who have not bought that particular file will also see the update but hey, it just may propt them to go ahead and purchase it :)

I’m also doing this, but not everyone uses Twitter. I like Mark’s idea of adding an icon on the downloads page. Maybe even going one furthur and adding an “Updates” tab to their Account Page with a small number as to how many files have been updated similar to the way the App Store on the iPhone works.

1234 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

The idea is good. Though personally I think there are more efficient ways, such as putting the notification on the buyer’s downloads page ;)

70 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
tomh says

I think the red label comprimise isn’t that good – as updating your file is an easy way for a seller to make their item have a big red shiny banner next to it, and therefore get more attention.

All items should have a hidden version number, and when people have purchased it, they can go to their account page and see a list of products they’ve bought that have been updated since. They can then dismiss these or download them.

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

email notification with opt out seems like a good plan. Personally, I have so many things to keep up with on-line, that I always welcome a ‘push-service’. You just sign up and then forget about it.

It is potentially a bit spammy, but compared to the amount of unwanted junk mail that lands in the average inbox of a day, I don’t think it would be so much of a worry… especially if it’s an opt-in at the time of buying. It could even be done on a per file basis.

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says

This wouldn’t be such a bad idea if it were implemented onto the download page for files.

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by