6 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
outtareach says

What customer support staff ends a response with an exclamation point to the customer?

This is what they said:

“Thank you for your message to Envato Support. Actually we do accept credit card payments, processed by PalPal. When you use the “buy now” option on an item page you will be re-directed to PayPal in order to login OR you’re given the option of making a purchase using a credit card without a PayPal account. Next time you’re interested in making a purchase, go ahead and try this option out!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.”

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

A very enthousiastic support team :)

5765 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I know this is offtopic from the original problem. I watched that Envato differs slightly from other communities i.e even the error page on Envato sites, they will try to add some fun, human touch. I guess this is not unprofessional but little bit annoying sometimes!; especially the times when the user faces difficulties handling the system, it triggers unnecessary feelings!

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
outtareach says

when your pissed just trying to make something work and getting bs from them its not cool or funny.

4509 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

They should have ended the response with a question mark… to keep things interesting.

7186 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

They should have ended the response with a question mark… to keep things interesting.

Or with a question mark AND an exclamation point.

But really, how the phrase is composed can look as an insult with some creative thinking. Translated, could be something like: “Are you stupid? Just use those option there and don’t bother us.”

But I’m sure it was not on purpose :)

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

¿Qué?

1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

What customer support staff ends a response with an exclamation point to the customer?

This is what they said:

“Thank you for your message to Envato Support. Actually we do accept credit card payments, processed by PalPal. When you use the “buy now” option on an item page you will be re-directed to PayPal in order to login OR you’re given the option of making a purchase using a credit card without a PayPal account. Next time you’re interested in making a purchase, go ahead and try this option out!

Actually most support services will. In the absence of voice inflection and body language the best two ways to show a non-threatening tone is to either end with an exclamation point or a smiley face :)

Most response situations opt for the exclamation point since it’s actual grammar. But the thing is that it actually does lessen anger most of the time because of that non-threatening “tone” being created by the exclamation!

Of course some people will use it as a thing to latch on to for their anger. But when setting up a support system where dealing with many people will be the norm you have to use methods that will work for the majority of cases, because there is no such thing as a method that will work for all cases. :)

580 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Portugal
plusquare says

Don’t be so picky, I agree with mbmedia, i really don’t see where the problem is.. did you feel offended by an exclamation mark? The message seems pretty narrow and professional to me.

851 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Australia
+2 more
Jordan_M Staff says
outtareach said

This is what they said:

Outtareach, we actually encourage our support guys to be a bit more personable (and throw in the occasional exclamation or smiley)! We find far more often than not, people prefer a more authentic human touch to their dealings with support – as long as their enquiry is dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner :-). I’m sorry if this practice has offended you.

by
by
by
by
by
by