6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
outtareach says

What customer support staff ends a response with an exclamation point to the customer?

This is what they said:

“Thank you for your message to Envato Support. Actually we do accept credit card payments, processed by PalPal. When you use the “buy now” option on an item page you will be re-directed to PayPal in order to login OR you’re given the option of making a purchase using a credit card without a PayPal account. Next time you’re interested in making a purchase, go ahead and try this option out!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.”

3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

A very enthousiastic support team :)

6023 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

I know this is offtopic from the original problem. I watched that Envato differs slightly from other communities i.e even the error page on Envato sites, they will try to add some fun, human touch. I guess this is not unprofessional but little bit annoying sometimes!; especially the times when the user faces difficulties handling the system, it triggers unnecessary feelings!

6 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
outtareach says

when your pissed just trying to make something work and getting bs from them its not cool or funny.

4664 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

They should have ended the response with a question mark… to keep things interesting.

7573 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

They should have ended the response with a question mark… to keep things interesting.

Or with a question mark AND an exclamation point.

But really, how the phrase is composed can look as an insult with some creative thinking. Translated, could be something like: “Are you stupid? Just use those option there and don’t bother us.”

But I’m sure it was not on purpose :)

3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

¿Qué?

1234 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
MBMedia says

What customer support staff ends a response with an exclamation point to the customer?

This is what they said:

“Thank you for your message to Envato Support. Actually we do accept credit card payments, processed by PalPal. When you use the “buy now” option on an item page you will be re-directed to PayPal in order to login OR you’re given the option of making a purchase using a credit card without a PayPal account. Next time you’re interested in making a purchase, go ahead and try this option out!

Actually most support services will. In the absence of voice inflection and body language the best two ways to show a non-threatening tone is to either end with an exclamation point or a smiley face :)

Most response situations opt for the exclamation point since it’s actual grammar. But the thing is that it actually does lessen anger most of the time because of that non-threatening “tone” being created by the exclamation!

Of course some people will use it as a thing to latch on to for their anger. But when setting up a support system where dealing with many people will be the norm you have to use methods that will work for the majority of cases, because there is no such thing as a method that will work for all cases. :)

592 posts Don't be so humble - you are not that great.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
plusquare says

Don’t be so picky, I agree with mbmedia, i really don’t see where the problem is.. did you feel offended by an exclamation mark? The message seems pretty narrow and professional to me.

857 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says
outtareach said

This is what they said:

Outtareach, we actually encourage our support guys to be a bit more personable (and throw in the occasional exclamation or smiley)! We find far more often than not, people prefer a more authentic human touch to their dealings with support – as long as their enquiry is dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner :-). I’m sorry if this practice has offended you.

by
by
by
by
by
by