PatrickAThompson Recent Posts Threads Started
144 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

So… just for fun, I Googled my name to see what would pop up… and it seems that some of my mp3 demo files for AJ are ending up on those crazy “Buy Your New Ringtone” sites… and the funny thing is that they’re the DEMO versions with the AJ watermark!

I’m curious if anyone else has seen this, or can shed some light on how this happened… I know the watermarked versions are easily downloadable – presumably to test how they fit in context whatever film project is being worked on… but… why post an unusable, watermarked track.

I’m not mad… but certainly curious.

Links are listed as verification.. I don’t have accounts on any of these sites and stand to gain nothing from posting these.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/patrick_smile.html

http://beemp3.com/index.php?q=Patrick+A.+Thompson&st=artist

http://www.mp3chief.com/music/j-through-tears/ -about 3\4 down

Very strange! Thoughts?

841 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

The same has happened with my preview files. I contacted support about 4 months ago about this and haven’t heard a peep.

PatrickAThompson
144 posts
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

I have a theory that those sites have… spiders, of sorts, which scan the net for MP3 files to download indiscriminately….

841 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Yes, I think so. I doubt it’s anything to be concerned about.

1471 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

Here’s me, seeing in the future:
Some moderator will remove the links in your post saying that is against the rules to post this kind of stuff and telling you “please contact support”, then nothing else will happen. On those link people will still sell your music but it will be just harder to check them for the forum users, the answer from the support will be some automated form in about 3-6 months.
Because links removed, the AJ forum users will think that the problem is solved and soon forget about this.

PatrickAThompson
144 posts
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

Mihai! Who knows?

I’ve only been on AJ for maybe 3 months – so I’m not really aware of what’s ‘normal’...

I also came across a site yesterday which had MANY links to tracks on AJ—presumably working as an affiliate\referral guru… but next to my track, he had his name listed a ‘writer’. Again, I’m all for referrals. If someone wants to market my track for me, sweet! But I do kindly ask that affiliates respect the authors of the material they’re promoting.

I’ve spent many years in school for composition and orchestration… I spend a lot of time on the music I create… whether it sells or not, I deserve the right to keep my name on my music.. ya know?

About a week ago, I was contacted by a film producer who had my re-named track pitched to him by another AJ composer. The guy had taken the demo track from my page, re-named it, and tried to pass it as his own. When the film producer looked at the details\comments inside the MP3 file, my name was still on it…

In short – there just seems to be some shady things going on… not on the part of AJ… but its users. I’d like to see the AJ community come together to help fight this kind of stuff… We want to and need to protect our own interests. I’d really like to believe that AJ takes this kind of stuff very seriously – as it’s part of their market\income as well.

Whether the links are still active in the original post or not – this will be an ever-living problem – one we must constantly be aware of.

Fortunately, in my cases stated above, no money (to my knowledge) has changed hands… so, in theory, nothing’s happened… which means there’s really nothing I can do for now.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on how they track and protect their music.

My tip of the day is to fill out the info in your MP3 Demos before uploading. Sure, it’s easily changeable, but it just might slip by someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing. By simply having my name in the info, someone was able to Google me and contact me through my website to let me know the track was being pitched by someone other than myself…

I’ve been long-winded - which is rare before I finish a pot of coffee in the AM.

Thanks for your time!

808 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

mp3skull is just a search engine, it does not keep your files. Read here: http://mp3skull.com/copyright.html

But in any case, if you have music on the web and it’s good, be prepared for unauthorized use. There’s nothing you can do with it.

1471 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

About a week ago, I was contacted by a film producer who had my re-named track pitched to him by another AJ composer. The guy had taken the demo track from my page, re-named it, and tried to pass it as his own. When the film producer looked at the details\comments inside the MP3 file, my name was still on it…

WOW !!! That definitely should go to support!
You say about “AJ community come together to help fight this kind of stuff”, I wish this kind of stuff wouldn’t exist in the first place, I was thinking that there is a certain code of honor between artists.

PatrickAThompson
144 posts
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

WOW !!! That definitely should go to support!
You say about “AJ community come together to help fight this kind of stuff”, I wish this kind of stuff wouldn’t exist in the first place, I was thinking that there is a certain code of honor between artists.

I sent it it and got a response saying basically “We’re looking into it”. So… We’ll see. The user’s profile is still active.

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
varelikstudio says

Hello people!!! = Fight = thieves very difficult.THE BOARD !!!....It is necessary to have a copy of the file in the mailbox ….Upload date will help to resolve all disputes in your favor!!!!....The thief will not necessarily download music!!!!... He can write a song with the watermark on the PC and to present for sale in AJ .Good luck!!!!... Protect your copyrights!

by
by
by
by
by
by