791 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in India
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
laranz says

—Two months of free access for ALL affected users
“Regardless of whether a person was a current or expired member or just someone who signed up but never paid or used the service”

Wow.. :ohrly:

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
471 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
SelfPublishServices says

It’s the way business should work, but it’s only done like this by a few.

Maybe NatWest could learn a few things from Envato.

6000 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

This points how important it is to balance the development with reasonably frequent iterations, rather than postponing every development piece into a pack of “next year” big update. Having sufficient resource for frequent updates eventually avoids the risk of priority confusions.

Hope things will be back to normal with the generous approach on this issue.

854 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says

Just as a reminder, as Collis stated in his Notes post about the breach – we will be thoroughly looking at all areas of the company, including the Marketplaces in relation to security. This is a priority for us.

“From here on, along with addressing this situation, we are going to be taking a long and hard look across the company at all areas of security, even the ones we feel very confident about.”

2059 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

“Regardless of whether a person was a current or expired member or just someone who signed up but never paid or used the service” Wow.. :ohrly:

Yeah.. 2 months is a LOT and really makes up for all of our passwords basically being handed out.

OH WAIT , it doesn’t.

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

“Regardless of whether a person was a current or expired member or just someone who signed up but never paid or used the service” Wow.. :ohrly:

Yeah.. 2 months is a LOT and really makes up for all of our passwords basically being handed out.

OH WAIT , it doesn’t.

Exactly – people don’t understand the bigger picture. If you go to a bank or anywhere and use your credit card and enter the pin/number you expect this process to be secure. If it isn’t and your data gets stolen or leaked, then you instantly loose faith. We saw this in the Sony case. Now, I will never be a sony customer again, because I simply can’t trust them. This is now the same for Envato – that’s one lost customer.

Anybody who doesn’t take to ensure the security of my data is at a maximum doesn’t deserve my business.

7438 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Not to minimize but you should always assume that an online service you use may fail in some way or another at some point. Nothing is forever.

I’m waiting for the day when facebook will get hacked. Imagine hundred of millions of accounts stolen. Now that will a day to remember.

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Not to minimize but you should always assume that an online service you use may fail in some way or another at some point. Nothing is forever. I’m waiting for the day when facebook will get hacked. Imagine hundred of millions of accounts stolen. Now that will a day to remember.

Of course. I would not have had an issue with this, but the passwords were in plaintext. Nobody ever uses plaintext when storing passwords. (apart from Envato, of course).

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

I’d like to point out that it was as much a fault of aMember (the software used to run Tuts+) as it was Envato, yet NO ONE is yelling at them. Seriously? Amember is one of the largest and most widely used membership softwares on the net.

It was definitely very, very negligent of Envato to not fix the issue sooner, but if you’re going to yell at someone, yell at both of them.

2059 posts
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

I’d like to point out that it was as much a fault of aMember (the software used to run Tuts+) as it was Envato, yet NO ONE is yelling at them. Seriously? Amember is one of the largest and most widely used membership softwares on the net. It was definitely very, very negligent of Envato to not fix the issue sooner, but if you’re going to yell at someone, yell at both of them.

But they knew everyone’s passwords were being stored plaintext from the start. You’d think Envato would simply fix the issue before it became one, but they didn’t.

by
by
by
by
by
by