• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

I guess you’re both right, my apologies.

I’ve tested it with new images and it does work as you said.

But this is really most unintuitive “feature”: what if I want to change the theme, and new theme uses different image sizes? What if I have to change layout and to reduce sidebar images, for example? I have to resize them all? Again? And have to install plugin for that?

Really annoying and doesn’t work as expected. At least for me.

Also, this article is very useful: http://www.studiograsshopper.ch/web-development/wordpress-featured-images-add_image_size-resizing-and-cropping-demo/ :)

Thanks, I will check it out.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

But this is really most unintuitive “feature”: what if I want to change the theme, and new theme uses different image sizes? What if I have to change layout and to reduce sidebar images, for example? I have to resize them all? Again? And have to install plugin for that? Really annoying and doesn’t work as expected. At least for me.

I agree that it’s not ideal – and at times very annoying. The fact that [1] it doesn’t generate the images on the fly, [2] it generates all registered sizes even if they’re not necessary (required due to [1]), and [3] it won’t upscale are huge drawbacks. If I were creating a personal site I’d still use timthumb (never had an issue setting it up). But as far as themes go, because its so much easier for users to just have everything work out of the box (even if the way it works is not optimal), I think I’m opting for the WP thumbnail system.

It just comes down to implementing the path of least resistance for buyers I think.

Also, you can write a wrapper to the WP function to make it function more like timthumb. But hopefully they’ll improve this in the future :)

203 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Egypt
Morad says

I got great useful information, Thanks a lot :)

by
by
by
by
by
by