2 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Jiveon says

Which stinks because I like a lot of the music I’m hearing but the site is so sloooooow and beachballs (using OS X 10 .5) both Firefox and Safari, which are both up to date with latest Flash, etc on a Mac Pro with 7 gb RAM and 4 2.66 ghz processors. The ridiculous design of having a list of files which you can’t stop loading is nuts!

I’m on a DSL connection which admittedly isn’t that fast but is fine for streaming one or two basic video and audio streams. Do you guys realize that when I see a list of 20 files on a screen I’m actually going to try to listen to all of them? And further that likely none of them will meet my needs? So that means I listen to the first 5-10 seconds of a track, immediately decide it isn’t for the project I’m working on and move on the next track. But whoops! With this site the track I didn’t want to hear at all keeps loading! And so does the next, and the next…. by the time I’m halfway down the page my Internet connection is slowed to a stop and my browser is choked trying to deal with all these audio files in their less than satisfying Flash player. All these audio files that I no longer want to hear or deal with!

Optimize your site! You really do have good content but this site is too much of a PITA to use.

339 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

I’d try speedtest.com and measure what your download/upload/ping ratings are…

Then if I were you I might try switching to OpenDNS (www.opendns.com) and using Google Chrome as it has much much better memory management than really any other browser (especially firefox…if anyone likes using that one). That could be another one of your issues.

My much slower laptop with download at 768kbps and upload at less than 280kbps pulls up www.audiojungle.net like a dream after doing those two and a bunch of other tweaks. I don’t know how many of the same things are available on Mac uses as they involved a bunch of registry tweaks like disabling dns caching, a couple buffer changes, and changing the priority level of name resolution but you may be able to do the same thing.

anyone interested on a windows machine might like this stuff for starters…I’ve had no problems thus far with Chrome from any of the registry changes: http://www.j79zlr.com/reg.php

None of the files are spyware infected either…you can pull the .reg files up in a new page and look at all the data and even copy it with the copy and paste command to a text document and then change the extension to .reg if you’re really paranoid.

496 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
JType says

Jiveon – welcome to the site and I’m glad to hear that you like a lot of the music here.

I use Firefox and have never experienced the issues that you’ve described, while browsing through the music. However, I do understand what you mean and realize that this can be very frustrating at times.

Just one suggestion, that might be a bit of a hassle, I don’t know – try clicking on the link for the file to take you to it’s main page, instead of listening to the thumbnail preview. I prefer doing it this way anyways as you can then get an idea of how the music loops (if it’s a loop, of course) and then, when you press back (or close the tab if you open the file up into a new tab), no unnecessary files have loaded on the main list page. :)

172 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
joelfalconer says

Hi Jiveon, I’m using Firefox OS X 10 .5 on an iMac with only 2GB of RAM and a pretty measly 8mbps DSL connection (that honestly only operates at 1.5mbps speeds most of the time) and I’ve never had issues with loading speed even when I’m going down a page loading all the previews. I actually get quite a bit of feedback that the site is responsive and fast. Not sure how I can help you other than to suggest you try JType’s suggestion — after all, that’s the beauty of a tabbed browser. :)

2 posts
Jiveon says

Yeah I hear ya, I was frustrated earlier and I suppose the only way to roll is to bump the tracks out to a separate tab, but that still is less than satisfying.

I use some competitors to AJ and they just work much smoother, having only a single player in a separate window just makes way more sense from a design perspective. I’ll try the above suggestions although I’m honestly not going to go jumping through a giant series of technical hoops in order to accommodate poor design. I don’t have similar problems with any other web sites (and I frequent a number of media heavy sites) and I’m not going to shift browsers just for one site.

I don’t mean to be harsh and I hope my criticism is constructive, thanks.

292 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Ezza says
the site is so sloooooow and beachballs (using OS X 10 .5) both Firefox and Safari, which are both up to date with latest Flash, etc on a Mac Pro with 7 gb RAM and 4 2.66 ghz processors

That’s strange, I’m using a basic iMac, and can’t make it freeze even loading up all the largest preview files. It did slow down once, but nothing like what you’re describing. Safari doesn’t go over 300mb of memory in the process either. Open up activity monitor while you’re doing this and see if anything else is consuming a lot of memory or CPU . It sounds like something else is exacerbating the issue.

2 posts
Analog_Dude says

No slowness issues for me but the site crashes every time I’m here, no matter what browser I try (especially if I move the track slider to move through a song).

2 posts
Analog_Dude says

So I got excited and tried google chrome, but got the same result. You can see the output of my error here:

http://pastie.org/408018

Perhaps a crossdomain.xml issue or something. Best of luck with this most excellent site guys.

by
by
by
by
by
by