1141 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
KarmaThemes says

Hmm, I’m still unhappy with this. As I repeatedly pointed out, I have already removed the images I was notified of BEFORE I was “temporary” disabled. Also, the item was already soft-disabled, so this was more punishment than necessary in legal terms.

Regarding the “temporary disablement”: The email I got was written in the spirit of “you may send us your reconsideration request, but it’s our decision IF we reinstate your account at all”. The word “temporary” CANNOT be found in this email. Also, I couldn’t find anything about what happens to pending earnings. It took close to 24 hours until I was notified that my account would be reactivated.

All of this still leaves me speechless.

7208 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Hey doru, I’ve gone over your posts but I’m not sure which question you’re referring to that hasn’t been answered yet. Would you mind clarifying for me so that I may answer your question or make sure that another staff member does? Thanks!

yes off course.

On one side you have authors with elite status, well known partners of envato, authors who produced items for the marketplace and provided revenue for the company over the years. Off course is a mutual benefit relation, but my point is that is not a new author with 1 sale.

Yet envato chose to disable the account, arguably damaging the author sales, envato sales and the relations between envato and those authors. Also envato with this move made a bad impression on other authors (like me) who respect the rules off course, but are not elite or whatever.

My point is, if envato disable elite account for small issues that at least in a case had already been fixed by the author, what the rest of us could expect in the future?

We still have no explanation on why this over the top reaction happened, if it was a simple software or human error or it was on purpose.

Thank You

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

^

Doru,

regarding the account disabling, elite or not, when you violates copyrights (and the use of Andreina Jolie is the best expression of this) you put yourself and envato in a situation not so simple. What if an important lawyer of Hollywood ask for a million dollars because the image of AJ has been used to promote commercial products worldwide?

Envato disable the account and freeze the funds in case of huge legal costs, untill the situation is solved also with the person that claimed the copyright violation.

Removing the copyrighted material from the preview of the file using it, in most cases, isn’t enough to close the dispute with the copyright holder. That’s why the account too is disabled in some cases.

This has been the rule almost since I joined this network. As author I understand this rule very well and fior this reason I don’t get all this hate against envato in this thread.

If you don’t want your account disabled, simply respect the rules.

Parker

7208 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

you should read the thread carefully.

one author said he received a warning about the photo, but because the item was soft disabled he assumed it was no hurry since no one could see the item. he planned to fix the issue in a reasonable time frame, after the weekend.

another author got the warning and fixed the issue but his account got disabled anyway.

so what are we talking about?

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

“A lot of people are complaining that disabling an account prevents them from making money. Making money with unauthorized usage of copyrighted images? The nerve…”

Not long ago everyone was using copyrighted images, so i don’t agree with what you said. I’m sure you used them as well :)

I understand you argument – the fact that not so long ago a large part of authors used copyrighted images really stunned me, because I never did. Wnen the Envato campaign started, I even didn’t bother checking up my demos and files.

I don’t know about you, but for me TF is main source of income, I would probably get a heart attack if my account would be suddenly disabled. And you’re missing the problem here – it was one item with one image and it was already soft-disabled so no one was making money on that! The problem is that it led to disabling whole account without any chance for explaining.

I think that having ThemeForest as a main source of income is a good reason to always check on licenses. I wouldn’t argue in defense or against disabling an account. Probably the procedure should be more open.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

you should read the thread carefully.

one author said he received a warning about the photo, but because the item was soft disabled he assumed it was no hurry since no one could see the item. he planned to fix the issue in a reasonable time frame, after the weekend.

another author got the warning and fixed the issue but his account got disabled anyway.

so what are we talking about?

I’ve read the thread… my comment above isn’t really referring to a particular case. Aslo if I mentioned a specific case (AJ photo) I was talking in general about the rules.

There are authors that have always used the right material, ugly photos, just to respect the rules… they don’t get any prize.

If the only penalty when using copyrighted material is to have the single item soft disabled and re enabled in 12h after removing the material, then I would start to use photos from anywhere… so when envato discover my illegal material not a big deal… I get the item only soft disabled but in a few hours I can fix it… till then I get advantages from the high quality photos to promote my work.

No way…

I also think that with 6000+ items we can’t expect envato to apply rules based on the single and particular situations. They soft reject and disable the account of every item/author violating copyright… in some cases this can look unfair, in some others it doesn’t. The only thing we can be sure about is that in the first stage, who was acting not properly, is who was not respecting the rules.

7208 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

If the only penalty when using copyrighted material is to have the single item soft disabled and re enabled in 12h after removing the material, then I would start to use photos from anywhere… so when envato discover my illegal material not a big deal… I get the item only soft disabled but in a few hours I can fix it… till then I get advantages from the high quality photos to promote my work.

Yes I understand the argument

BUT :)

you forget about having some sort of escalation.

I find you using that photo first time, you get your item soft disabled and a warning.

I find you used the same type of photos again then you are banned!.

we are speaking about external previews that envato can’t control 24/7

1141 posts
  • Exclusive Author
KarmaThemes says

I also think that with 6000+ items we can’t expect envato to apply rules based on the single and particular situations. They soft reject and disable the account of every item/author violating copyright… in some cases this can look unfair, in some others it doesn’t. The only thing we can be sure about is that in the first stage, who was acting not properly, is who was not respecting the rules.
NO NO NO . I’ve earned envato more than $20000 and I DO expect the 5 minutes it needs to contact me personally, rather than just switching the lights off and terminating my whole account, without even checking if I have resolved the issue or not.

This is not North Korea.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

NO NO NO . I’ve earned envato more than $20000 and I DO expect the 5 minutes it needs to contact me personally, rather than just switching the lights off and terminating my whole account, without even checking if I have resolved the issue or not. This is not North Korea.

Envato earned from me more than 115.000$ (only envato part).

I got disabled for a BUTTON looking similar to another author’s one, also if I design everything by myself and I never copy. I didn’t complain this much, also if my case was really unfair because I didn’t use any copyrighted material in my theme (and I see themes after themes, that are copies of most successful authors, being released and approved). My theme was going to be in the top10 of the week, but for the disablement I lost that option… I didn’t kill myself.

Like you, every author makes money for envato… and for himself.

When someone claims copyright about something in your item the procedure is the same for everyone, fair or unfair it might look.

Parker

1141 posts
  • Exclusive Author
KarmaThemes says

I got disabled for a button looking similar to another author’s one, also if I design everything by myself and I never copy. I didn’t complain this much, also if my case was really unfair because I didn’t use any copyrighted material in my theme.

If you are making a living from envato sales, and they switch you off for nothing, do you think this is a sustainable business model?

by
by
by
by
by
by