• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

I got disabled for a button looking similar to another author’s one, also if I design everything by myself and I never copy. I didn’t complain this much, also if my case was really unfair because I didn’t use any copyrighted material in my theme.

If you are making a living from envato sales, and they switch you off for nothing, do you think this is a sustainable business model?

I know how you feel, because I felt the same… but you have chosen envato, they didn’t chose you. You can sell elsewhere, nobody is forcing you.

I make a living from envato and, for this reason, I’m always careful when I publish something to not break any rule and risk to be disabled.

I don’t know very well your case, were you using copyrighted material in your theme without the rights to use it? Which was the issue with you?

Parker

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

You got your account disabled for a stupid button while being one of the first authors to sell hundred of thousands of dollars but you accepted this treatment like nothing.

Envato did nothing to me, but I’m here trying to make them explain why they treat you like a new account.

Clearly I’m missing something here.

1141 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
KarmaThemes says

I don’t know very well your case, were you using copyrighted material in your theme without the rights to use it? Which was the issue with you?

Parker

My former designer used celebrity images for a tiny “team” section in a preview. My bad I didn’t check enough. The item was soft disabled and I didn’t want to reupload it as it’s old and doesn’t sell anymore. But I replaced the images with licensed ones and AFTER THAT got banned. Just so, and they didn’t mention “temporary”, the message was like “banned forever. envato was using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, so to speak. I’d never treat any partner or customer like this.

47 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Portugal
eduvoindo says

Guys,

we can say anything… to be safe there are only 2 options:

1: Buy photos

2: Take your own photos with your camera

All the other options are dangerous and you must take in consideration the risks of using any type of free material.

Also if you find a free photo today, tomorrow it could be commercial or have its license terms changed in any way…

Be always safe with your business ;)

Parker

^+1K

Although I partially agree with most of the authors here, regarding Envato’s handling criteria on this matter, Parker did, on my opinion, the best comment on this thread. That is some simple raw true, that will make life easy for everyone.

1394 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

Does Collis know about this?

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

about what? :)

we are still trying to find out if this was some software bug or a simple human error (forget to reset the timer ban or something)

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I believe Collis is out of the office for a couple days but I discussed the issues raised in this thread with our legal director and marketplace GM and they will be responding as soon as they can (as you can imagine, they’re very busy people so it may have to wait until tomorrow).

about what? :)

we are still trying to find out if this was some software bug or a simple human error (forget to reset the timer ban or something)

Hmm, I believe I answered that earlier in this thread. Account disablements occurred due to a content policy review and certain violations. The delay in account re-enablement was due to a software issue that has already been identified and resolved.

The thing is:

I removed the content (G. Clooney) before my account was deleted. They didn’t check, they just locked me for NO reason.

Feels cosy, doesn’t it?

Hi KarmaThemes, please let me know if there is some confusion with regards to the item you’re referencing. I see it’s still soft-disabled and has yet to be fixed, which is why your account would have been disabled pending receipt of required confirmation as described in the notification you received.

Hey doru, I’ve gone over your posts but I’m not sure which question you’re referring to that hasn’t been answered yet. Would you mind clarifying for me so that I may answer your question or make sure that another staff member does? Thanks!

yes off course.

On one side you have authors with elite status, well known partners of envato, authors who produced items for the marketplace and provided revenue for the company over the years. Off course is a mutual benefit relation, but my point is that is not a new author with 1 sale.

Yet envato chose to disable the account, arguably damaging the author sales, envato sales and the relations between envato and those authors. Also envato with this move made a bad impression on other authors (like me) who respect the rules off course, but are not elite or whatever.

My point is, if envato disable elite account for small issues that at least in a case had already been fixed by the author, what the rest of us could expect in the future?

We still have no explanation on why this over the top reaction happened, if it was a simple software or human error or it was on purpose.

Thank You

Hi doru, please see above for information regarding the last part of your inquiry (“We still have no explanation on why this over the top reaction happened, if it was a simple software or human error or it was on purpose.“).

Our legal director and/or marketplace GM will be able to respond with further clarity as soon as they are able.

1141 posts
  • Exclusive Author
KarmaThemes says

Hi KarmaThemes, please let me know if there is some confusion with regards to the item you’re referencing. I see it’s still soft-disabled and has yet to be fixed, which is why your account would have been disabled pending receipt of required confirmation as described in the notification you received.

Hi Jarel, as I pointed out about a 10 times now, I’m not going to resubmit Kaytee HTML Theme as it’s 1) old and 2) not selling. Could you please just delete it?

EDIT : I CAN ’T delete it, and the notification came from do-not-reply@themeforest.net – so what should I do, and what should I have done???

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
rafaelrasalan says

Same happened to me but it’s a different case. I reported a cloned file. Opened a ticket, tweeted to Envato support, 1 month passed now but no response. Talking about support i bet support from top authors is 100 times better. Pure professionalism.

The thing is the marketplaces are evolving, new sites have been launched under the company including Photodune and Mactuts. But the people working for this company is NOT .

Question is does Collis knows about this or does he CARE about it?

Sorry for the bashing, fine i’m the bad guy now :|

1141 posts
  • Exclusive Author
KarmaThemes says

One more thing, Jarel: The notification of the soft-disabled item is from do-not-reply@themeforest.net and in this e-mail, there’s no word about “required confirmation as described in the notification” Also, there is no word about a time frame thats expiration would lead to banning my whole marketplace account!

by
by
by
by
by
by