164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
tonyc says

When they pay you by the hour to judge whether the file should be approved or not there is not much time writing why the design isn’t good. Instead I think there should be a pre-written list with reasons for rejection. For example: “Your design was rejected due to aesthetic reasons” or “Your design was rejected due to IE6 incompatibility” and so on.

2529 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

We always supply a few reasons why an item is rejected. If you are simply receiving rejections with the description blank, please email me and I’ll look into the situation.

In the case of the typo, how could we have known that? It’s not our job to debug your templates. That’s the authors job. :) We review the theme, and if rejected, offer a few reasons why.

932 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
JWG says

What I meant by typo, was instead of “1_homepage.jpg” I had “1_hompage.jpg”

If thats not the reason it was rejected, I don’t know what the orig reason was. Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Fixed now. :)

323 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

You should be able to call the screenshots whatever you like but I believe they should start with 01_screenshot.

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
When they pay you by the hour to judge whether the file should be approved or not there is not much time writing why the design isn’t good. Instead I think there should be a pre-written list with reasons for rejection. For example: “Your design was rejected due to aesthetic reasons” or “Your design was rejected due to IE6 incompatibility” and so on.

Ya, normally, I will use this reason to reject an item which is not ready for TF. I found that it is hard to tell the author that your design is not good or bad or ugly. I don’t know others but me, myself, I find it hard to write that. So, when you received rejection with reason stated “Your design was rejected due to aesthetic reasons”. Then, it is actually not any padding or margin issue. It is better you start another one.

I am trying to be nice to every author that got rejected. I understand my English isn’t good enough. I apologize here…

If a file need improvements, I will stated the reason and some tips if possible. I can’t give every single direction or clue. I hope you understand…

When you received “This item doesn’t meet our criteria” This mean the file is totally rejected. However, you can still modify it and re-upload.

When you received ” This item need improvements or fixed”. This mean the file is close to be approved after some improvements. Then, reviewer will point out some errors, tips or suggestions.

We never put our personal taste when doing review. For example, when I review a file that having the design that I don’t like, I will just review the functions, usabilities, codes etc. For sure I will see from the overall. Then, I will ask another reviewer, for now is Jeff, to review it and note down my comments. Then only we decide.

But, for PSD template. This may have need some personal taste. Because it is simply a layout design. Agree?

After I read many negative post about reviewers. I feel abit upset… Anyway, I just want to explain what I think and What I am doing. I hope I am doing the right thing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

323 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

First let me say kailoon that your english has gotten much better! I couldn’t imagine contributing to another forum in a different language…it would be difficult.

From just paying attention to the forums it does seem that personal taste has become factor since Mark left for Video Hive. I don’t believe the psd category should be judged by personal taste either but rather is there a market for the design and does it follow good practice.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion lately as to why uploads were rejected and maybe we know why now. I understand that it is difficult to tell someone that what they uploaded just isn’t good enough but there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. If it was a client you should expect them to be blunt. Below is the legend that is being used however it’s the first I have heard of it, it’s from clear and probably causing most of the confusion. If I’m not aware of it then I’m sure many others are not either and is going to lead to a very confusing rejection email.

Your design was rejected due to aesthetic reasons = start over

This item doesn’t meet our criteria = modify & reupload

This item need improvements or fixed = it’s close

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

This item doesn’t meet our criteria = modify & reupload

This item need improvements or fixed = it’s close

Actually, Just the two above. And the first one is actually refer to “Your design was rejected due to aesthetic reasons” and it is better to start over. But if the author think that he can still improve from there. He still can do it.

Maybe I didn’t explain it well… Personal taste, doesn’t mean it have to follow my style… For sure the design will be judged as what you mentioned too.

Sorry if this cause even more confusion…

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Each reviewer, to some extent, has his own method. In the last few weeks, I’ve started to list several immediate issues that I have with rejected items. Now that doesn’t mean that those are the only things that should be changed. It simply means that those were the things that jumped out the most.

As Kai Loon said, if we’re unsure about a particular theme, we ask another reviewer to assist. We do our absolute best to keep our personal taste out of the equation.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

When we use phrases like “aesthetically pleasing”, we’re not only referring to the “style”. There are many techniques that should be apparent across ALL styles.

Proper padding, line-heights, margins, etc. One of the most common issues I see when reviewing is padding and alignment.

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

No offense guys, but not even a %0.0001 percent of personal point of view for design reviews should be allowed for any reviewer.

Everyone’s taste is different. For instance, as much I’ve seen zillions of people dug my designs, I’ve also seen some dark color haters that will never love my work and rate as worst, which is their own very right of taste.

So what if my item comes up with the second type of reviewer?

I agree on some parts of the commentors’ criticisms. Telling the author what to do is never the reviewer’s job. But maybe if there are some specific helper guidelines(which are already set by the system) after rejection, it would be more constructive for the author. I’ve seen some other site using the reviewing that way. (we all know and use but don’t want to mention)

Example scenario: rejected: This item doesn’t meet our criteria

can re-upload?: yes

sugguestions: a) you should not squeeze images irrelative to it’s width and height. b) scary bloodsplatter on the background doesn’t ring a bell with “lovebugs” theme.

And for design, it should never ever be about liking it or not, not even a bit. YOU CAN NOT TELL IF THE DESIGN BLENDS IN OR NOT . Because you don’t know that.

But; you can tell the author if the design meets the overall universal design specifications, if it is has a proper usage of grid, if the color scheme is harmonic, if the typography blends in. Because these are so brightly seen on a work if it fits or not.

But there are also many argumentative things that can not be told to anyone about his design.

by
by
by
by
by
by