84 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Russian Federation
spakse says

I would like to consult. There is a question of buying headphones, I would like to hear your advice.

429 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
thesecession says
920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
jhunger says

I’ve heard excellent things about the ATH -M50s. Depending on your price range, give these a look as well:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT880/

They’re listed for $300 here but you can usually find them in the low to mid 200s if you look around.

EDIT – I should point out that they’re open backed, so you wouldn’t want to use them for tracking because of the bleed.

241 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+4 more
BCrutchfield Reviewer says

I have a pair of AKG -K701’s and I really love them, they sound great.

The specs say that they are effective down to 10hz but in my experience they only really produce down to maybe 60-70hz accurately. After that there is a pretty severe drop off, and if you don’t check your mixes on a system with more capable bass you might let some tracks slip by with low end muddiness, or bass parts being too boomy. I’ve been guilty of this myself before I made sure to double check my mixes on other speakers (oops).

The really amazing part about the headphones though is their comfort. They do not overly squeeze your head like a vice grip, the headband is a nice soft leather with cushiony bits, and most importantly they are completely open backed.

Like jhunger pointed out, the open back is probably horrible if you are using them while recording. You will also probably have people give you really concerned/funny looks as if you are 95% deaf because of how well they transmit what you are listening to to the outside world.

The great part about the open back though is that it is an excellent way for all of the surprising amounts of heat and moisture your head can create in an extended amount of time to go/evaporate. I used to use a set of phones that were close backed for noise cancellation purposes, and I felt like my face and head region was in the Amazon rainforest after like 3 or 4 hours of writing due to the heat build up.

With the AKG ’s though I’ve worn them for maybe 10 or 12 hours in a day, and there was no heat build up, and it was amazing.

Unlike tightly controlled Apple products with their pricing consistency everywhere, if you like these you should shop around a bit, the price can vary spectacularly.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K701/

$350

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-WHITE-HEADPHONES/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328937604&sr=8-1

$243

For the same thing!

Anyway, good luck with your headphone search!

-Brian

689 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Poland
FxProSound says

I would recomend AKG K141 studio. Most natural sound and semi open construction. Just I trust what I hear and my ears are not tired using it. But I never mix in headphones this is an addiction to studio monitors.

1120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

I have a pair of AKG -K701’s and I really love them, they sound great.

The specs say that they are effective down to 10hz but in my experience they only really produce down to maybe 60-70hz accurately. After that there is a pretty severe drop off, and if you don’t check your mixes on a system with more capable bass you might let some tracks slip by with low end muddiness, or bass parts being too boomy. I’ve been guilty of this myself before I made sure to double check my mixes on other speakers (oops).

The really amazing part about the headphones though is their comfort. They do not overly squeeze your head like a vice grip, the headband is a nice soft leather with cushiony bits, and most importantly they are completely open backed.

Like jhunger pointed out, the open back is probably horrible if you are using them while recording. You will also probably have people give you really concerned/funny looks as if you are 95% deaf because of how well they transmit what you are listening to to the outside world.

The great part about the open back though is that it is an excellent way for all of the surprising amounts of heat and moisture your head can create in an extended amount of time to go/evaporate. I used to use a set of phones that were close backed for noise cancellation purposes, and I felt like my face and head region was in the Amazon rainforest after like 3 or 4 hours of writing due to the heat build up.

With the AKG ’s though I’ve worn them for maybe 10 or 12 hours in a day, and there was no heat build up, and it was amazing.

Unlike tightly controlled Apple products with their pricing consistency everywhere, if you like these you should shop around a bit, the price can vary spectacularly.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K701/

$350

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-WHITE-HEADPHONES/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328937604&sr=8-1

$243

For the same thing!

Anyway, good luck with your headphone search!

-Brian

+1 I have the same for about 3 years now, and they are amazing !

84 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
spakse says

I understand, AKG used by many. Thanks for the tips. :)

990 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
simaudio says
205 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
TJMusic says

I always use Beyerdynamic DT-770 – I can definitely recommend them.

49 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
bluelagoon says

I use Sennheiser HD 25 -C-II, they are crafted mainly for DJ use but they serve me well in production. My advice would be to go to a gear store and test out some headphones with some tracks that you know very well and know how should sound.

by
by
by
by
by
by