243 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Web-Culture says

Naaa i don’t it will make it harder…
Make it harder to click a link? Are you serious?

First thing the reviewer checks is your files. Do you have analytics on the envato server files? Cause that’s a sure reason to get rejected :P

If your main files are up to standards, the reviewer will check the preview, if your main files were not up to standards, why visit the preview?

If you come to think about it, the main file is one of the most important elements. You can have a preview to google.com, and no files in the main archive, does that mean you should be approved?

I hope I’ve made a point. No offence intended! :)

No offence taken but please do explain.

How does the reviewer check the files ? Does he install the theme onto a test server and check the layout on his install? If that is the case then 99% of files would be rejected. Have you ever installed a theme and had it work 100% without needing to setup a bunch of things?

I have install many themes from here that look a complete mess when first uploading them but once setting up all the required things they look perfect.

If the code is not up to standard then wouldn’t they send a mail saying your coding needs some work rather than rejecting it for design but actually it was due to messy code.

How will a theme get approved when the designer keeps trying to fix his design but the reviewer keeps rejecting based on code?

And as I said before sometimes people forget to change the screenshots before uploading so if a reviewer is going to reject a file based on the screenshots then maybe they should say, hey listen based on your screenshots I have rejected your design.

All I am really trying to say here is I think designers on themeforest put a lot of time into themes. Some people have worked more than 6 months on just framework. Is it to much to ask that a reviewer gives a slightly better reply when rejecting something?

Even if it is just saying, based on your screenshots I have rejected your design. Sorry I have rejected your theme due to your code being messy please clean that up before I look at anything else.

Just be slightly more specific, this will help not only the designers but also the marketplace.

For everyone that is asking about the preview… I did not post this because I feel my theme should have been accepted, I know my theme needs work and it only gets better with each rejection. I posted here hoping the review process could be done slightly better.

1588 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

aaah we already had this talk a month or 2 back… and actually they are better in reviewing.

4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

How does the reviewer check the files ? Does he install the theme onto a test server and check the layout on his install? If that is the case then 99% of files would be rejected. Have you ever installed a theme and had it work 100% without needing to setup a bunch of things?

I have install many themes from here that look a complete mess when first uploading them but once setting up all the required things they look perfect.

If the code is not up to standard then wouldn’t they send a mail saying your coding needs some work rather than rejecting it for design but actually it was due to messy code.

How will a theme get approved when the designer keeps trying to fix his design but the reviewer keeps rejecting based on code?

And as I said before sometimes people forget to change the screenshots before uploading so if a reviewer is going to reject a file based on the screenshots then maybe they should say, hey listen based on your screenshots I have rejected your design.

All I am really trying to say here is I think designers on themeforest put a lot of time into themes. Some people have worked more than 6 months on just framework. Is it to much to ask that a reviewer gives a slightly better reply when rejecting something?

Even if it is just saying, based on your screenshots I have rejected your design. Sorry I have rejected your theme due to your code being messy please clean that up before I look at anything else.

Just be slightly more specific, this will help not only the designers but also the marketplace.

For everyone that is asking about the preview… I did not post this because I feel my theme should have been accepted, I know my theme needs work and it only gets better with each rejection. I posted here hoping the review process could be done slightly better.

Oh, I’m sorry. You must be right. Reviewers never open the main.zip file. They just trust that the files are good. Of course the theme is checked before it is approved. How can I, you, or anyone trust a simple preview? Would you buy a car, just by seeing the preview model?

Have you ever installed a theme and had it work 100% without needing to setup a bunch of things?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have, please, don’t be rude! We are only trying to help out and explain what has happened from our humble experience! :)

A theme has to work properly, both on the server, and by code. Look at the timthumb exploit for example. A plugin that has been ” approved ” by developers world wide for it’s aspect and usability, but no one checked it’s backend. I think at least a douzine sites, and customers have had to suffer due to a faulty backend!:)

Reviewers have been chosen because they know what they are doing, and I’ve said this a lot of times in the past and I shall gladly say it again, if you check the front page, all files approved make sales, meaning, the reviewers do a great job!

99% no, but about 70% are rejected. And that’s great! Reviewers are impartial, they don’t care what your preview should do or shouldn’t do, they just check to see if everything is working up to the standards required by the marketplaces. if they do, voiala! You’re approved.

Reviewers are not blunt machines that click the reject button due to any tiny error. For example, the tables I use in my templates are coded using HTML5 , and I always get a cellspacing error in the markup. Validation says change it to CSS , that is impossible. Yet, if I have tried to get that out of the way, and failed, and there is absolutely no way to remove the error, but the template functions perfectly, the file is approved!

Last but not least, if the reviewer has installed the theme to his server / the envato server / whatever server, and paddings, text, margins , design is whack , then you will be rejected.

And the really last last last thing! Why are you so sure that the design is so good? We’ve yet to see a preview so we can better understand why your file has been rejected?

I hope I’ve not offended you in any way! But please, do show us a screenshot at least or a preview! It’s much easier to get constructive criticism then. Now, we can only speak about talking! :P

Note: these are my personal opinions as an individual member and author of this community and not representative of Envato Staff or the Envato Item Reviewers. My personal opinion does not guarantee the approval of this file for sale on the Envato Marketplaces.

1588 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

U guys should host a envato debate show :)

Anyways tho i do agree that sometimes reviewers comments are a bit tricky but i have to be honest that they did change from the last time this kind of debate was opened.

I understand web-cultures frustration, since 99% of the answers are generic… and there is not enough comments for all the situations what mans that they have a list of answers from were they copy… but that doesn’t stop ton of authors, including myself to actually get approved.

So it can be done, i have a web development company and a perfect example was when i was looking for web graphic designer and tons of them shown on interview. I was amazed when some of them shown there work, which was very poor for the lack of the better non resentful and rude word :), and they were so shure of them self’s and could not be budged from that shurnes there was this girl that used tons of ugly old beveal and embos effects… almost default ones… and she actualy went on debate war with me over it… anyways that can be a painful experience specially on themeforest after review’s. but you have to take it in and try try again… sometimes you will get it right the first time sometimes the 10 th time :)

Anyways, hate typing so much, to bad we can’t be on some group voice :) long story short keep on trying! :)

243 posts
+1 more
Web-Culture says

Oh, I’m sorry. You must be right. Reviewers never open the main.zip file. They just trust that the files are good. Of course the theme is checked before it is approved. How can I, you, or anyone trust a simple preview? Would you buy a car, just by seeing the preview model?

Have you ever installed a theme and had it work 100% without needing to setup a bunch of things?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have, please, don’t be rude! We are only trying to help out and explain what has happened from our humble experience! :)

A theme has to work properly, both on the server, and by code. Look at the timthumb exploit for example. A plugin that has been ” approved ” by developers world wide for it’s aspect and usability, but no one checked it’s backend. I think at least a douzine sites, and customers have had to suffer due to a faulty backend!:)

Reviewers have been chosen because they know what they are doing, and I’ve said this a lot of times in the past and I shall gladly say it again, if you check the front page, all files approved make sales, meaning, the reviewers do a great job!

99% no, but about 70% are rejected. And that’s great! Reviewers are impartial, they don’t care what your preview should do or shouldn’t do, they just check to see if everything is working up to the standards required by the marketplaces. if they do, voiala! You’re approved.

Reviewers are not blunt machines that click the reject button due to any tiny error. For example, the tables I use in my templates are coded using HTML5 , and I always get a cellspacing error in the markup. Validation says change it to CSS , that is impossible. Yet, if I have tried to get that out of the way, and failed, and there is absolutely no way to remove the error, but the template functions perfectly, the file is approved!

Last but not least, if the reviewer has installed the theme to his server / the envato server / whatever server, and paddings, text, margins , design is whack , then you will be rejected.

And the really last last last thing! Why are you so sure that the design is so good? We’ve yet to see a preview so we can better understand why your file has been rejected?

I hope I’ve not offended you in any way! But please, do show us a screenshot at least or a preview! It’s much easier to get constructive criticism then. Now, we can only speak about talking! :P

Note: these are my personal opinions as an individual member and author of this community and not representative of Envato Staff or the Envato Item Reviewers. My personal opinion does not guarantee the approval of this file for sale on the Envato Marketplaces.

Thanks for your reply, I am not trying to be rude at all so I am sorry you took it that way.

You must not have read what I have been saying in my previous posts as I have said over and over that this is not about my file. I do not think my file SHOULD have been approved. I even stated in my last post that I know my theme needs work. This is simply a post on the process of anyone’s files being reviewed.

Look at another post made today, the theme was soft rejected for some changes the. Hard rejected saying the theme is not upto themeforest standards. Things like this in my opinion should not be happening.

My preview is here http://webculture-themes.com/bliss Please keep in mind that I have never stated that my theme is good enough to be approved. It has been rejected 5 times and with every rejection I understand the reason why and have improved on it a lot with the help of this great community.

88 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
libertux says

Hi, Nice work, but your header (specially the logo) are not clean with other part of template so you can pay attention on the head of the theme it’s the start point of visitor it must be attractive.

Hey i’m a new theme author and i’m working my first one it’s under construction here (demo.farkess.com/bibos) and maybe me too i need advices but i can’t see anomalys on my own work but i can see other one theme anomaly :winktongue: .

Good luck

243 posts
+1 more
Web-Culture says

Hi, Nice work, but your header (specially the logo) are not clean with other part of template so you can pay attention on the head of the theme it’s the start point of visitor it must be attractive.

Hey i’m a new theme author and i’m working my first one it’s under construction here (demo.farkess.com/bibos) and maybe me too i need advices but i can’t see anomalys on my own work but i can see other one theme anomaly :winktongue: .

Good luck

Thanks for your reply Libertux.

I agree the header does need work and that is what I have been focusing on since it was rejected. I will keep working on the logo till I come up with something that I like.

I took a look at your theme but on my iPhone so I cant really tell you much. One thing I did notice is the slider does not really work on an iPhone. The text overlaps the box and the next and prev buttons.

Will try take a better look when I am at my pc.

by
by
by
by
by
by