348 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Hi all,

I’ve purchased and used probably around 60 different WP themes from the marketplace and am still looking for one that combines the best of my 3 or 4 favorites. I’m looking for theme suggestions based on the following criteria, which is going to be a little tricky since I cannot name individual themes! I’m hoping I can name authors – please edit out if not.

1/ SIDEBARS : Custom sidebar creation with the ability to select NAMED sidebars (not ‘sidebar 1, sidebar 2 etc.) from the page edit window. Example: I select the option for dual sidebars and select ‘Faculties’ sidebar on the left and the ‘Art Faculty’ sidebar on the right. Left / Right / Dual sidebar templates are a must. The best example I’ve found of this so far is in the Goodlayers themes.

2/ SIMPLE GALLERY CREATION : Too many themes ask me to create a gallery then set up individual gallery items, each with a featured image, meaning I have to set up 30 or 409 new ‘pages’, each with a features image just to create a single gallery. Others ask me to set up a custom gallery and select the images for that gallery from a thumbnail scroller showing items in the media library. The easiest way, especially when you have some galleries with large numbers of images, is to use images attached to the page so that is a must. Also, the ability to create a central gallery overview page using the featured image from each of the separate gallery pages would be ideal.

3/ PAGE TEMPLATE BUILDER . I’ve only used Kriesi’s and Goodlayer’s and both are great. Shortcode for column and layout generation is fine for the developers but for clients is a headache.

4/ 2 slider options – simple fade/swipe and accordion.

That’s about it! I hope there’s one out there somewhere – any suggestions much appreciated :)

Thanks, Jon.

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Hey Jon!

Just wanted to share something with you, but you don’t have a contact form on your profile. So can you shoot me a quick message using ours? I will get back to you there, thanks :)

348 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Hiya! messaged :)

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

I like your new avatar :)

177 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
xdkd says

3. PAGE TEMPLATE BUILDER Actually I have mixed feelings about this. Wouldn’t a number of preset template pages with shortcodes be a more convenient and fast way for a developer to make page layouts, without wasting time on dragging boxes and setting parameters in “visual” back-end editor (which inserts same shortcodes anyway). And as for client – most clients I’ve seen want nothing to do with any CMS anyway and just ask developers to make changes for them) Hey, they are busy running their business, why would they want to learn WP admin skills? That said, is bundled number of pre-set pages (like on Karma theme, for instance) a good solution for a theme or visual editor is a must nowadays?

348 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

The page builder function is helpful primarily for front pages and the odd internal page where they want an internal layout.

Several of our clients can’t wait to get stuck in with putting pages together and their enthusiasm often isn’t matched by their knowledge of HTML . Hence things such as column shortcode can look a little forboding to them.

For someone who knocks sites together, I can take or leave the page builders but for clients, they love it.

348 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

I like your new avatar :)

:D

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

@freshface – sharing new theme look?:D
@kops – good luck with the search :) we are out of the question, because we do not use dual sidebars :)

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Replied, did you get it or you just didn’t have the time to read it yet? :)

@duotive Pretty much, it’s about the number 3) from Jon’s list

348 posts
  • United Kingdom
kops says

Replied, did you get it or you just didn’t have the time to read it yet? :)

hi mate – yes got it thank you- won’t have time to have a proper look until later – will email you :)

Re. the dual sidebars, they are becoming a must for us recently as we are doing several school websites – the amount of info and related info to display on any given page can be overwhelming, often far too much for a single sidebar.

by
by
by
by
by
by