1014 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Gae47 says

Apologies if this topic has been posted before but I’m interested in the first soundtrack that the film music fans among us bought and at what age..what were the circumstances etc?
For me it was John Williams superb score to “Jaws” which I went out and bought with my own pocket money at the tender age of 10.
It was the hot summer of 1975 and my mother and I joined the long queue outside the local Astra cinema. As soon as John William’s ominous theme started I was hooked by the music and knew that I was watching a special film with an awesome soundtrack. The very next day I popped to my local Woolies and bought Geoff Love’s Big Terror themes which had the “Jaws” theme on it. I foolishly chose this over the soundtrack because it was £2 cheaper at 99p! :)
As soon as I popped the Lp (remember those?) on the turntable I knew something was wrong and this music didn’t have same “bite” (pun intended :) ) of the music that I had heard in the film. So off I trotted back to Woolies to exchange this album for the original soundtrack. In retrospect, even the original soundtrack was a slightly different recording to the music as heard in the film but at the time, it was good enough for me .

I still have that RCA soundtrack almost 40 years later…along with hundreds of others.

2057 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

If you could class this as a soundtrack as I do: Jeff Wayne’s “War Of The Word’s” which I won in 1977 (Queen’s Silver Jubilee Street Party) – woman next door to my parents worked for CBS Records and had several promo copies of the album to give away! :)

204 posts
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+4 more
GregMusic says

I loved movie soundtracks as a kid, and still do! Some of my favorites were and still are: Braveheart – Love the orchestral music, still listen to it all the time. Forrest Gump – Love the piano and string main theme, plus all the other amazing music. Back to the Future – One of my all time favorite movie themes. ET – also one of my favorite movie themes. Jurassic Park – I had to learn that one on piano as soon as I heard it, loved it. Titanic – I was blown away how well the music complimented the movie, love that soundtrack and learned to play it on piano too.

My list could go on and on… :)

1014 posts
+2 more
Gae47 says

If you could class this as a soundtrack as I do: Jeff Wayne’s “War Of The Word’s” which I won in 1977 (Queen’s Silver Jubilee Street Party) – woman next door to my parents worked for CBS Records and had several promo copies of the album to give away! :)

I guess I’d consider it more a concept album but I suppose it could be considered a soundtrack to the Novel. :)
P.S. I have it too!!

1014 posts
+2 more
Gae47 says

I loved movie soundtracks as a kid, and still do! Some of my favorites were and still are: Braveheart – Love the orchestral music, still listen to it all the time. Forrest Gump – Love the piano and string main theme, plus all the other amazing music. Back to the Future – One of my all time favorite movie themes. ET – also one of my favorite movie themes. Jurassic Park – I had to learn that one on piano as soon as I heard it, loved it. Titanic – I was blown away how well the music complimented the movie, love that soundtrack and learned to play it on piano too. My list could go on and on… :)

Great taste there GregMusic and you have chosen a lot of my collection too.

One of my all time ever favourite film score tracks is “Adventures on Earth” from E.T. It’s just 15 minutes of incredible music that takes you through all the gamut of emotions.

I’m also a fan of early James Horner too…Braveheart, Aliens, Titanic, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, Mighty Joe Young are just a few of my favourites.

I have the first and third Back to the Future soundtracks and love Alan Silvestri’s music to this trilogy of films. My student friends and I were so obsessed with the first “Back to the Future” movie that on its first run, we went to see it about 7 times in a week or so…(the Cinema entrance fee was only £1 for students back then).

Jurassic Park is also one of my favourites and coincidentally, I’m currently listening to “Jurassic Park: The Lost World” CD soundtrack in the Car.. Although the Jurassic Park theme is great I still prefer William’s “Journey to the Island” music more. What I would give to write just one great theme like that although would it be quite as memorable with the connection to the movie? John Williams reckons that Spielberg’s visuals and his music rely on each other to create that extra special “Je ne se qua”. I agree with him. I just can’t listen to this soundtrack (or most others really) without imagining and/or seeing the visuals of the movie. They have a symbiotic relationship that makes them go hand in glove.

With regards Titanic, I also have the soundtrack piano book and have played it to death over the years!!
342 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
soundtrove says

Star Wars! I used to hang out in the library at lunchtime in school so I could listen to it until I could buy my own copy. The Good the Bad and the Ugly – loved country twang guitar tones ever since I first heard it.

112 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
soundrepository says

The first soundtrack I bought was “Armageddon” – I still totally love “Theme from Armageddon” – just an awseome “hymn” for me…

Marco

921 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
JBlanks says

My first soundtrack that I bought was John Carpenter’s “Escape From New York”. Knew the music inside out before I was old enough to be allowed to see the damn movie! My Dad had the Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds album and it used to give me nightmares! But fortunately it didn’t warp my mind or anything… oh wait… ;)

705 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+5 more
PaBlikMM says

The first one i bought was “Connan the Barbarian (1982)” by Basil Poledouris – i really love this epic soundtrack!

I read that he had really only few days for writing and recording – sometimes they have to keep the first take ´cos of the deadline :D If you listen carefully to some parts you can clearly hear detuned flutes, turning the note paper pages, some sections out of tempo etc. – thats what i love on it at most – its pure natural recording:) Beautiful composed, dark and rusty sound with a lot of human in it :) IMO

Sorry for my english! :D LOL

Pavel “CHA!”

1014 posts
+2 more
Gae47 says

My first soundtrack that I bought was John Carpenter’s “Escape From New York”. Knew the music inside out before I was old enough to be allowed to see the damn movie!
I had a cassette of that score too. John Carpenter wrote some great music to perfectly fit his movies. Of course “Halloween” is the standout but I also like his music to other films too… “The Fog” “Christine” “They Live” “Village of the Damned” to name but a few.

The first one i bought was “Connan the Barbarian (1982)” by Basil Poledouris – i really love this epic soundtrack!

I never really got into the film or consequently the score to Conan, but I love Basil Poledouris’ Starship Troopers score as well as others such as “The Hunt for Red October”. Such a tragedy that he died so young

by
by
by
by
by
by