548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

I’ve got a few questions for you guys!

1) Have you actually hired an attorney for your contract or just kinda winged it hoping for the best?

2) Does your contract include the right to outsource? The right to use templates? The right to use other third-party apps if need be to ensure on-time completion of site?

3) Does your contract include a hard deadline of completion or some wiggle room? I find that my part is done on time and I end up waiting on the customer for text.

4) Do you include penalties or charges for having the main point of contact changed on you, thus having to start from scratch explaining things to yet another person? (this has happened so many times lately it’s getting annoying)

5) Do you include a general statement regarding something to the effect that their website is not future-proof and if IE 10 comes out tomorrow you’re not responsible for fixing it for free?

Looking for any tips on shoring up my crappy contract! Thanks for any input.

3454 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I highly recommend watching this talk: http://vimeo.com/22053820 :) It’s entertaining and informative.

1. I’ve done both. If it’s a big project, I recommend using an attorney.

2. Not specifically, but it does include a budget for reimbursable “expenses”. Good idea to include that though – it can’t hurt.

3. I have the same problem a lot. In the future I plan to require all text/content up front before the project development commences.

4. Yes. Scope changes require a project change request and updated fee. Or there is a stipulation that requests outside the scope will be completed at an hourly rate. Also, include a kill fee (see the video for more advice).

5. I haven’t, but this is a good idea. I usually just say that all future maintenance will be performed at an hourly rate. Then I can use my discretion in the future as to whether to charge for that upgrade or not, depending on the situation.

Good luck :)

548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

God Bless you sir :) Watching the video now! Lovin’ the Goodfellas references lmao.

3454 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Haha yes the guy that gives the talk is awesome :)

by
by
by
by
by
by