• Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
clinton says

Hi Guys,

A little bad news.

I have had to disable our Marketplace API because of a massive increase in API requests today. During our off-peak period, 90% of traffic was coming from API requests, most of them duplicate requests. Unfortunately we had to react quickly and the easiest option was to just turn it off. Left unchecked, it would definitely have brought our marketplace sites down during our peak period (night-time in Australia).

The API is a service that is mostly used by authors. We value our authors and the tools built with the API are no doubt useful to authors. However, what is even more useful to authors is sales, and if the site is down then sales will obviously stop. In short, the marketplace is more important than the API .

We will be working in the coming days to throttle the API by user. The API was performing very well under the load, returning results quickly, but even so it was being inundated by requests.

If you are a programmer writing widgets/applications that use the API , please take the following advice. Make sure your application is only calling the API a reasonable number of times per hour. I found one app that asked for the same information 10 times in one second! When the API is relaunched we will be restricting the number of calls per user per hour. (The number has not been decided yet.) If your app makes too many calls, the user will be banned from the API for a short time. This will make your application users unhappy, no doubt.

More information coming soon.

So once again, I am sorry I have had to pull the plug on the API , but it was for a good cause. It will be back soon.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Damn enterFrame event! Them boys never used that well :)

1028 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
sike says
Damn enterFrame event! Them boys never used that well :)
lol. FD need to limit the request per second as twitter does, otherwise we’ll see the fail fox. :P
81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Paul_Ferrie says

Why on earth would someone be needing to make a call every 10 seconds? That’s nut’s!

I am glad i took an xml of my most recent files.

8271 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

yeah alot of the apps ive seen check every 5-10 seconds, which is completely useless given that the data is only updated every minute for certain properties… :(

Take a look at vimeo, they have a limit on their API …

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Maybe it’s my imagination, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Envato sites load so fast. I wrote a comment in the forums just the other day asking whether there was some load issue with the servers as Videohive is about the slowest website I visit and often seizes up altogether.

This is great…..

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says
Maybe it’s my imagination, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Envato sites load so fast. I wrote a comment in the forums just the other day asking whether there was some load issue with the servers as Videohive is about the slowest website I visit and often seizes up altogether. This is great…..

Do keep in mind though, that at any one time there’s probably around 20,000+ users browsing the sites (Members, Visitors, Spiders, etc). So that is a huge amount of traffic to deal with.

The sites load within a reasonable limit for a large network anyway.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

When you guys say it will be back soon, when exactly is that? I have a WordPress plugin that many users are using that is not currently working because of the API going down. I understand the reason, just curious as to when you think it will be back up? :)

Edit- There can’t be that many apps yet, It would be helpful if you could name what app(s) are making too many requests at once, that will make it much easier to debug the issue on our side. If we know which apps are making too many requests, we can resolve the issue quickly.

3072 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Ban for one day the ip-s that make more than 10 requests per minute :D

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

I would bet it is a desktop app that is making all these requests. No way a plugin or web app is making 10 requests per second :D

by
by
by
by
by
by