It cracks me up when I think about it. The best selling tracks seem to follow a certain formula. It’s one I’ve tried to mimic myself on my song “Say Yes” (even though it has yet to sell).
The idea is this:
- Step 1: Start with a riff in a major key. This can be piano, guitar, an echo-y string sound, something lush.
- Step 2: Introduce the drums sparingly. Let the hit-hat begin for a few measure, then maybe a bass drum, until the listener is hungry for it to “kick-in”, then hit the full beat.
- Step 3: Move the bass around underneath the riff. Keep it in the major key, moving the bass around the riff to give a sense of movement. You can occasionally drop to the relative minor to add some “drama”.
- Step 4: $$$$$$$$
Also you can use:
only 2 or 3 max chords progressions….
lol. Romosel is on a roll with funny images
sebastian6: remove the link to your track. The mods will if you dont.
There edit button is no longer there. Weird. I guess the mods will need to remove it.
Sorry- didn’t know that was a no-no.
“Say Yes” nice theme – sebastian6
Ha ha…thats awesome!
Too funny. Looks like its working for ya already.
Fade in reversed electronic sounds with lots of reverb and delay. Play a simple melody for 4-5 seconds with clicky sounds as beats and bring it into a boomy staccato ending with lots of echo and high bleepy sine-like sounds. Fade out the remaining delay. Electronic Logo Track ready.
I like making fun of myself.
Well, guess why marketing-guys like Coldplay so much…
Try not to mix your own good sense of what is “art” or “good music” with the general demand on the market. Marketing people just want the same formulas over and over again because…
a) ...they work (on an emotional level – mostly because of simplicity…)
b) ...their audience likes to hear something familiar
There are those really courageous producers out there who want the edgy stuff. But that’s really rare – especially if it’s a production on a smaller level.
Conclusion: There’s no harm done using those formulas – especially on a platform like AJ. Just don’t mix it with your own tastes and you should be alright…
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.