2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

I think you guys might be misunderstanding me a bit. Clearly, I’m not asking you to divulge your secrets. The idea is this: If I’m a new web designer, how could I get my first theme accepted on ThemeForest? What are the gotchas with the process? What do I need to focus on? Are there code red zones that I need to be careful about?

These folks won’t be competing with you anytime soon. So it’s less giving away the secret ingredients in Coca Cola, and more passing on some of your experience to the next generation. ...Not sure how that could possibly be viewed as a bad thing.

If one of you are up for the job, shoot me an email at jeffrey[at]envato[dot]com

2063 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

My problem is that it’s making people pay to learn about something that is open-source.

Also, when Tuts+ Premium was launched i was told there would be a site switcher “Coming soon” – it’s been a WHILE since then and still no site switcher. Is Envato killing off the free tuts+ sites?

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

My problem is that it’s making people pay to learn about something that is open-source. Also, when Tuts+ Premium was launched i was told there would be a site switcher “Coming soon” – it’s been a WHILE since then and still no site switcher. Is Envato killing off the free tuts+ sites?

Couldn’t that be carried over to selling products for an open source software? With that thinking, then it’s never okay for anyone to publish tutorials that require paid access, if the software for the tutorial is open source.

Sorry but that’s just wrong. As someone who writes/records tutorials several times every week, I can tell you that it’s a LOT of work, especially to produce quality ones.

I’ve also found that many, many users are very willing to pay a subscription for tutorials when the subscription gets them more tutorials and more higher quality material.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

It’s also not “making” anyone pay for the tutorials, as obviously ever user has the choice of whether to subscribe. There are thousands of WP tutorial sites; if a user doesn’t want to (or can’t) pay, they have other means to learn.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@LandonWilson – You make money off open source products every day.

The main reason why Tuts+ Premium is membership-based is because it costs a lot of money to commission courses from guys like you. If all this content was free, we’d go bankrupt very quickly. :)

About the site switcher, not sure where you heard that. I wouldn’t expect anything like that. The regular Tuts+ sites have site switchers.

7606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

2063 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

@LandonWilson – You make money off open source products every day.

The main reason why Tuts+ Premium is membership-based is because it costs a lot of money to commission courses from guys like you. If all this content was free, we’d go bankrupt very quickly. :)

About the site switcher, not sure where you heard that. I wouldn’t expect anything like that. The regular Tuts+ sites have site switchers.

I understand, and I would do anything to help people learn something new. I just want to make sure the price is for the right reasons. (and it would appear it is)

For the site switcher: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/im-in-love-with-tuts/54493?page=2#498394

485 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says

Jeff, you want to boost Tuts+ sales, right? Some TF authors are raking many thousands per month and everyone wants to do it. Yet, it’s not for everybody. It’s only for a minority. It also requires a multitude of skills and lots of experience. If you are doing it alone, you should be good at coding, design, marketing and also supporting your buyers.

It’ll take a professional individual many months of work to get his first theme. By professional, I mean he already has PHP , PhotoShop and HTML /JavaScript experience. Marketing, support and some business experience is nice to have too. If that’s your target audience, then it’ll be fair to price the course at $500-$900. It’ll make economical sense for these professionals. Since they are professionals, months of work is already a multi-thousands $$ investment. It’ll make sense for them to add this expensive course from a seasoned author.

If you are targeting noobs with little to no PhotoShop, HTML , JS, PHP and WordPress experience; yes, you might get many subscriptions (it’s like a get rich quick book) but then they’ll just give up and disappear. They are years from getting a theme to TF and that course will help them really little.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@Landon – David was referring to regular Tuts+, and we’ve already added that switcher.

@Omarabid – We’d be targeting folks who had a solid level of experience in WP, PHP , and Photoshop, but who have never sold a stock theme before.

51 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Authentic says

This is quite epic, well done sir.

by
by
by
by