• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Hope you’re all doing well. Haven’t been around here in a while. :)

Anyhow, to the point: for Tuts+ Premium (tutsplus.com), I’d love to have a course that teaches newcomers how to successfully design and build stock WordPress themes.

If you’ve been successful on this site, and would like to both pass on your knowledge, and make some money, can you let me know in this thread?

The job pays quite well, and would require you to create a series of screencasts – perhaps detailing your process of building a new theme for the marketplace. It’s also a fantastic way to promote your existing themes, as we’ll be heavily promoting the course. :)

So let me know!

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hey Jeffrey – long time no post! :)

Excuse my ignorance here but why would established authors want to share their experience for other people to then compete against them? I’m not following the logic as really the 2 sites (theme forest and Tuts+) are really in competition when it comes to things like this.

Jonathan

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Simonphoto says

Jonathan01:

I would argue that it is not contrary to the interests of a designer – the more high-quality themes that there are available on ThemeForest, the more likely users are to come to ThemeForest to purchase themes. In the end, while an individual might indeed have a smaller percentage of all sales on the site, the growth of the site could very well more than offset the difference.

82 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+2 more
mikemcalister says

Why share experiences? Because it isn’t always about making money. We make a living off of an open source project, it’s only fitting to give back every once in a while.

3771 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
miseld says

I would like to take 1st step, teach me how to make great PSD Website template that will be accepted on Themeforest. Even if i create something there is no feedback, no one will teach you how, what to do…

@mikemcalister “Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.”

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

@jonathan01 – I wouldn’t say that the two sites compete at all. They serve entirely different purposes. The marketplaces help you earn a living. Tuts+ helps you learn new skills.

In terms of why you’d share your experience, it’s because, as we all know, no instructor can teach somebody how to sell massive amounts of stock themes. There’s a lot more to it than just the steps – business, networking, design, release schedule, etc.

I’d like to think that the authors who do well here would like to pass on their learning for the next generation. It’s in the spirit of the web – especially when WordPress is open source.

And +1 to what Mike said.

2429 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

Not trying to be negative, but here’s another thing that comes to mind, besides Jonathan’s comment. I’m not saying all authors do this, but most do.

Buyers influence themes here by requesting certain functionality and making it a trend. You’ve probably seen this in a lot of themes. Take in-built SEO theme options (which I think is insane to do, that’s plugin functionality). This is nothing compared to the plethora of code that themes shouldn’t have, but do because at the end of the day, buyers fill author’s pockets.

If authors come and teach the techniques they use on ThemeForest themes, would it really benefit a newcomer? Wouldn’t it be better if that newcomer would learn proper WordPress code and best practices first? (and then, if he decides its best for him and his buyers, he can go ahead and answer market’s demands with plugin functionality built into the theme…)

Again, not all authors do this. But many, understandably, do. And I realize this view is a little too much, but what would you expect authors to teach? Basic stuff is a google search away…

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hey Jeffrey,

I didn’t say the marketplaces competes with tuts+ I said that if you are giving your knowledge away for more people to compete with you as an author then that would place the 2 sites in competition.

Mike – Tuts+ is a marketplace that Envato earn from so your not sharing your knowledge in the spirit of open source – you are sharing it for a cost…

Obviously I’m in the minority so please carry on without me ;)

Jonathan

4136 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

Jeffrey .

From a logic perspective view if you look at the envato history if you take the AD glory days most of the top authors avoid from sharing their knowledge on the tuts site, and i remember numerals of time a request on the forum from the tut stuff for submitters there, and to my knowledge most of us didn’t share much on the tuts for a good reason.

No one really want to share his full style of work and share his cod style if he is selling things here, maybe you don’t see it but many of the stuff on the tuts coming back here ,or i can show you some component there killing some items here when they go free on the tut ‘or on the premium .

Don’t get me wrong the tuts is a great place for the starter …but teaching is one thing and selling is another things and most of us (maybe i am wrong saying most of us) see the tuts as competition not the way around it .

1561 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

Hey Jeffrey,

I didn’t say the marketplaces competes with tuts+ I said that if you are giving your knowledge away for more people to compete with you as an author then that would place the 2 sites in competition.

Mike – Tuts+ is a marketplace that Envato earn from so your not sharing your knowledge in the spirit of open source – you are sharing it for a cost…

Obviously I’m in the minority so please carry on without me ;)

Jonathan

Gotta agree here, we’re all here in business for ourselves giving away your “secret sauce” if you will — just doesn’t make much sense.

by
by
by
by
by
by