150 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MaestroRage says

I’d like to suggest removing the total number of sales from public view. It’s not a secret that when a file has been bought many times, it becomes less and less appealing. Why are we purposely removing appeal from the authors?

Perhaps let the authors see the total number of sales purely for analysis purposes, this system serves only to impede the authors who use it.

Am I alone to think this?

13 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Draqo says

It can be used to flex any author’s e-strife, but instead of using sale counts how about popularity points? That way no one knows how much you have sold only that you are well known and a quality producer. These would be accumulated by how many hits and sampling (as well as sales in some degree) of items.

Showing of one’s ammount of sales and wealth to the public view is a little cringy. However, it does help the little guys out in getting the wealth. So I recommend only showing sales for Maestro so I can get some of the wealth. XD

461 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+4 more
Solidbeats Reviewer says

I beg to differ.

Take a little peak over at FD, and you’ll see that showing sales numbers actually improves on getting more sales. It’s not the first time someone mentioned this.. But sooner or later they’ll understand that good files gets sold anyway, even if it says 355 sales.

Besides, showing sales figures lets the buyer know that this file is quality, But at the same time,having a points system as Draqo suggested is actually not a bad idea.

Edit

I take that point system suggestion back when i come to think of it. Sales sounds more comforting to a possible buyer than points. A sale is a sale, and a point could be a simple rating from anyone, Unless the buyer spent time on the site and understood what a point means at AJ/FD etc etc.

150 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
MaestroRage says

That’s true for FlashDen, however I don’t think AudioJungle would really benefit from that. This system ensures that only songs used for presentations where the music plays no meaningful purpose other then providing pleasant atmosphere for an intended presentation will be bought and bought again. Stefan you should be aware of this more then anybody. Adrien’s Joy Packs did incredibly well and your clear skies did incredibly well for similar reasons.

However my type of tracks will suffer from this system. Since my tracks are based around gamers needs, nobody is going to want to buy a track that other games are going to be using. Anybody elses work which might be able to tap into this niche market will also suffer. In fact, any market that puts some value on originality will suffer from system.

Now i’m just using me as an example, perhaps this is why we don’t find so many tracks that can be used in this type of market at licensing sites. I’m also not going to pretend i’m a guru on this scene or anything, but I like the idea of discussing this with other authors.

Perhaps if we included how many total downloads the author has earned, it would serve as a good indication to the overall quality and usability that one can expect to find from that author’s work.

461 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Solidbeats Reviewer says

I agree with most of what you’re saying, no doubt.

But being hardcore niched like yourself will not result in many sales. (i get told the same from a certain person, hehe) See, I’m pretty niched too, and i’m missing out as well. But i do what i like and i’m fine with that. it took me over 2 years to get that red badge, it took soundroll what, 20 minutes? :)

You know that this is a stock site. unfortunately some will sell better than others, this system might work better for some than others. Maybe you should explore your other options, Save the ones you think will work well for online media, and save the other works on CDs and send them out to your clientele, the gaming industry.

I like the total download idea though :)

150 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
MaestroRage says

I will indeed explore other options in the future, but even if I should leave (not bloody likely, I love it here _), others like me (and you) will come around and find the same problem. The issue can be fixed and the niche markets can be tapped better. I realize this is a stock site and I don’t have the analysis documents. Maybe it’s not worth AJ’s time to try and tap into it. I’ve been selling these game tracks solidly for over 4 months now, and February has been my strongest start of the month yet.

I strongly believe there is a market, I only wonder if it would be worth it for AJ to spend time editing the system to let the author decide if they want to display their sale numbers. Hoping to get Joel’s input on this as well. I love ruffling his feathers :P.

Also Stefan you’re niched because you submit once every 2-3 months. I bet if you had as many tracks as Adrien you’d be belting out a good payload.

461 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Solidbeats Reviewer says
Also Stefan you’re niched because you submit once every 2-3 months. I bet if you had as many tracks as Adrien you’d be belting out a good payload.

not entirely true. But yes, i could submit more often but i don’t make a living creating music, it’s my hobby when i have time and inspiration for it. And i don’t have any problems with my sales figures, it’s just for the fun of it all for me, really.

if i wanted to get rich i’d be producing commercial pop music for artists, but i don’t wanna go that route.

315 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Denmark
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
brandtz says

I think it is an interesting “discussion” ........

I have too thought about getting the total number of sales removed. I think I did suggest it way back, I’m just not sure if we will benefit from it …

I like the total download idea….

However being hardcore niched as my self, I really look forward to different licensing modes …..

All the best//

NB. Please turn up my cash-counter again ;)

1 post
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
binti says

How about a option to buy the song? Most people should be aware when they are leasing a song from a stock site that there’s a good chance someone else is using the exact same thing. To me having a high number of sales on a song is a good thing because like someone else said it’s an indicator of quality. Like you heard about the time Joshua Bell took his $3.5 million Stradivarius violin and played in the subway? Almost no one noticed or stopped to listen.

by
by
by
by
by
by