• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
CogworksEntertainment says

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice from fellow AudioJungle members – been thinking of getting a new set of monitors to replace my Tannoy Reveal 6a’s now that I’ve got my studio acoustically treated. I was thinking maybe Rokit 8’s but what I can’t decide first is, would it be better to go for a pair of full range monitors, or smaller 6 inch nearfields with a sub as well. Any strong opinions on this one?

947 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
simaudio says

Hi, there was a thread on this a while back which maybe of some help. I use the KRK ’s and i have to say i have been very happy with them.

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/studio-monitor-thread-du-jour/54704

Hope this helps, i’m not sure about the sub thing. The Krk’s have plenty of bass (the 8’s that is) depends on what your gonna be doing really. :) As you know bass is always one of the hardest things to get right, room shape etc.

888 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

I’m not sure if I can answer the original question because I’m currently only working with nearfields. At a guess, it might make sense to go for a pair of really nice nearfields (a few of which are mentioned in that thread simaudio pointed to) and then upgrade to a nice sub later on once you’ve recovered from the first cash depletion. A lot of people will be listening on smaller speakers or headphones anyway, so it might be good to be able to reference with only the 5-7” monitors and then step back and turn on the sub.

Again, just a guess – better to listen to someone else who has a setup with a sub :).

BTW I put another post at the end of that thread to follow up on my monitor purchase…

201 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

I have the tapco s-8 in my studio and the m-audio bx5a in mt studio. Although the bx5 sounded great, a bigger speaker will give you more pleasure! Go for bigger speakers if you can stretch the budget!

360 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
musicguy says

Definitely go for bigger speakers then smaller ones + sub.

I am using Rokit 8’s and they are fine. Adam A7 are also very good.

From what I have gathered Rokit are a bit better for synths/drums/modern production and Adam for orchestra/acoustic instruments.

166 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
BlueLionMusic says

I love my rokit KRK 5 ’s, great quality at a reasonable price. Haven’t really felt the need to buy a sub but I’ll probably end up with the krk sub :)

R3GeneralDesigns
R3GeneralDesigns Recent Posts
Threads Started
92 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Japan
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
R3GeneralDesigns says

Hey. Maybe a long time have passed and you’ve picked the speakers now, but here are some hints:

1. If you have a big room choose 8” If not choose 5”/6”.

2. The position of the tweeters increase with the ” of the main cone. For many people is important to have the tweeters at the same height that the main cone.

3. Remember the triangle formation between your ears and the speakers. If your table is small I would not recommend a 8” speakers.

4. If you can listen to the speakers in place do it. Specially if you have passed many time with those Tannoys.

5. If you pick a 8”, maybe is not necessary to pick a subbass. It also depends of the type of music you do usually (if the bass is important and predominant)

by
by
by
by
by
by