1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

ahh… I’m so old, I miss using dos box commands. sometimes I still go start/ cmd.exe and go all dos-commands just for old times sake. i am a computer geek lol

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Sorry, but I have to be careful to not recommend specific utilities for things like this, since it would be theoretically possible for someone to hold my deep-pocketed company liable if I recommended something that someone thought maybe damaged their computer or data. You’re right that the best way is to use the Terminal command ‘purge’, but I tend to shy away from recommending command-line solutions in graphic/motion designer forums. ;-)

Aah okay! I’ll have a scout around on the web and see what I can find.

1095 posts inlifethrill
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bulgaria
+5 more
InlifeThrill says

Hey Todd, while you are here..

any thoughts on why is ram preview considerably slower in CS6 than in CS5 .5? Tested on the same project file with mirrored setting for both After Effects versions. And I am not talking about the common issues some folks had posted on the adobe forum (the problem of rendering a few frames only or any error messages that may pop up etc). It renders, no errors whatsoever but twice slower. Easy to see even if you only import an audio track and hit “make ram preview”. Using Windows.

p.s. The problem when it renders just the few 2-3 frames and stops appears rarely, but it is there alright. Purging, clearing cache and media is no good.. you need to restart the app to get around this. Would LOVE to hear a few words from you as I’ve spent quite some time looking for an answer. I’ve left more than enough resources for background processes.

Cheers.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

Hey Todd, while you are here..

any thoughts on why is ram preview considerably slower in CS6 than in CS5 .5? Tested on the same project file with mirrored setting for both After Effects versions. And I am not talking about the common issues some folks had posted on the adobe forum (the problem of rendering a few frames only or any error messages that may pop up etc). It renders, no errors whatsoever but twice slower. Easy to see even if you only import an audio track and hit “make ram preview”. Using Windows.

p.s. The problem when it renders just the few 2-3 frames and stops appears rarely, but it is there alright. Purging, clearing cache and media is no good.. you need to restart the app to get around this. Would LOVE to hear a few words from you as I’ve spent quite some time looking for an answer. I’ve left more than enough resources for background processes.

Cheers.

Just checking the obvious.. you don’t have the comp set to a Raytraced comp, do you? And are you previewing w. multiprocessing or single?

1095 posts inlifethrill
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
+5 more
InlifeThrill says

No Raytraced. Previewing with MP on. Did you notice anything similar in Mac? I’ve scratched the option it is a local problem.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

No Raytraced. Previewing with MP on. Did you notice anything similar in Mac? I’ve scratched the option it is a local problem.

I rarely use MP, so I couldn’t say. I find it’s faster for some things and slower for others. Since I’m often working on quite ram-hungry 4K VFX projects with a lot of footage in, I tend to try and preserve RAM . So my default setting is MP off.

I might switch to MP occasionally if I’m making a processor intensive thing entirely in After Effects.

Can’t think why it would be slower in CS6 . Is it replicable? Have you reported it as a bug?

1095 posts inlifethrill
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
+5 more
InlifeThrill says

To me mp has always been of huge difference. Maybe it is the type of work in do inside Ae.

It ain’t a bug for sure.. acts the same with any comps, any footage, any layer. I guess I could live with it, it’s just annoying. CS5 .5 works better in that context. This ain’t right..

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

I’ve also got a replicable case where CS6 is slower to render than CS5 .5. The whole interface slows down too. It appears to be to do with the fact that there are hundreds of fairly intensive deep-linked expressions. I think it’s the read-ahead caching that’s perhaps causing the problem. But I had to give up and go back to CS5 .5 in the end.

Haven’t had time to file the bug yet, but I will.

Is your project similar?

1095 posts inlifethrill
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
+5 more
InlifeThrill says

There you go, I am not insane after all :) I have not payed attention to what specifically could cause this issue. It’s not expressions in my case, that for sure.. which makes things looks even worse. You can easily check this for yourself if you start 5.5 and 6 simultaneously and ram preview the same thing.. Does not need to be a complex scene. Should screen record it.. it is that absurd.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

While I don’t find CS6 fundamentally much faster at calculating frames than CS5 , I don’t find it noticeably slower either. But like I say… I tend not to use MP for previews.

I’m on a pretty full on job till Tuesday, but I’ll run the side by side test when I get a minute.

by
by
by
by
by
by