4905 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Hey guys, just writing to ask if any of you have any thoughts/opinions on using an SSD as your primary drive for your workstation? I know quite a few people that have made the switch on their laptops, and in most cases these are their main computers. But I don’t know anyone personally that uses an SSD as their primary drive on a workstation. I’ve got my workhorse PC up and running, and the drive has been clicking recently, so I’m backing stuff up just in case it decides to die on me. So I’ve been thinking about making the switch to SSD and using a regular drive as more of a larger storage device. Any thoughts, for or against the idea?

I’m seeing some great reviews in terms of speed. But I’m also seeing a lot of people complaining about stability. With some saying their drive just crapped out after a few months. And since there’s no moving parts, there’s usually very little warning that it’s about to go. Also worried that these have a limited number of reads/writes and again it could hit that mark and die without warning.

551 posts I have hope and a wonderful future in God
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
yeremia says

I use CORSAIR Force GT [CSSD-F240GBGT-BK] and works well.

Overview :

You probably already know that solid-state drives are fast. With up to 85,000 IOPS and read speeds of up to 555MB/s, Force Series GT is on another level. Whether you’re building the ultimate gaming PC, a monster of a video or photo editing workstation, or you simply crave serious solid state storage performance, this is the SSD you want.

Specifications :

• Backward compatible with SATA II and SATA I
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7, Vista®, and XP; Macintosh OS X ; Linux
  • Operating temperature : 0° C to +70° C
  • Storage temperature : -20° C to +85° C
  • Operating Humidity : 10% to 90% RH (0° to +40° C)
  • Maximum Operating Altitude : 3,048 m (up to 10,000 ft.)
  • Maximum Non-Operative Altitude : 12,192 m (up to 40,000 ft.)
5083 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I have a 240GB OCZ Vertex III working as a dedicated disk cache for Ae.

If you’re putting one in a Mac, you need to make sure to get hold of Trim Enabler. Mac only allows it’s own brand of hard-drives to have Trim enabled. Trim enabler changes that for you without you having to get your paws mucky in Terminal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler

I’ve read the reviews and heard that people have had problems, but from personal experience so far so good. I’ve only had the thing installed for three months though, so who knows. The drives have a three year warranty, so I guess the manufacturers are relatively confident in their sticking power. When I’ve returned failed mechanical drives I’ve always found the service prompt and without question, so I hope the same applies here. The estimates that I’ve heard from pundits with no vested interest are 7-10 years under a fairly steady load. For me, that’s fine. I have lots of hard drives that are that age and still working, but none that I use anymore. Simply because the march of technology makes them obsolete after about 5…whether obsolete connectors, too small or too slow or too cheaply replaceable with something better.

I haven’t taken the plunge and made a system SSD yet. I’ll probably give the first one another 6 months first. I’m going to put one in my laptop though and see how that fares.

I like to look at it this way. If the thing saves a day of work in its life, then it has easily paid for itself.

But don’t stop backing up in triplicate just yet. :-)

4905 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Thanks guys, Felt I’d be sure to backup often if I were you. I’m a big fan of OCZ ’s hardware, so I went looking to them first for drives, and they seem to have more than average negative feedback regarding drive failures on Newegg.

I’ve been looking into this one, as it comes with a transfer kit and it’s got a number of solid reviews. The same drive without the transfer kit, has over 400 reviews and it still maintains a 5 star rating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

I was going to initially use is as a scratch disk, but since I haven’t been using AE as much as I would like in recent months, this is going to be mainly the system disk. Small and nimble. Oh and this is for a Windows 7 machine.

327 posts UnitedMotions
  • Located in Turkey
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
Balistique says

I used both OCZ and Corsair GT. All I can say is stay away from OCZ and get a Corsair GT.

509 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
5p1r17 says

My system is on Intel SSD X25 -M 120 gb drive. Flying like a rocket!

436 posts butlerm.com
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
butlerm says

Use a SSD 500gb from the apple website and it is amazing. I have had zero problems in the past 11 or so months!

590 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+9 more
flashato says

Interesting reading, SSD will be my next upgrade, and I found this some weeks ago.

1560 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Crucial C300 and m4 SSDs works great for me around 1 year.

Best Regards, Andrey

492 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
DoubleX says

I have OCZ Agility 3 120GB and so far I can tell it was one of the best investments. After two feeks I already felt a little slowdown and then found out that my TRIM support still didn’t work. After enabling AHCI in bios and installing AHCI drivers everything works fast as light :)

by
by
by
by
by
by